1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange clunk noise from rear

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Asifpop, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Asifpop

Asifpop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have 2016 prius and it has 30k miles. For last couple of month i started to notice strange clunk noise while accelerating in low speeds like 10-15 mph and controlling speed by accelerator pedal.. so when i push the pedal it feels there is a play in some kind of drive shaft in rear.. clunk clunk when i push the pedal does not happen at high speed... now i want to go to the dealer it will be a tough job to explain and demonstrate them.. just checking if anyone else has this issue?

Help is appreciated

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hi. Welcome to Prius Chat. Perhaps you could give us more information about the condition inside and outside the car at the time it happens, like temperatures, heater/Aircon settings lights etc. Hopefully someone will come back asap.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wasn't there a service bulletin for the rear shock tower bolts? Could be that.

kithmo, Elektroingenieur and RCO like this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea Mendel. @Asifpop you might want to mention that to your dealer. It should be covered under warranty, so let us know how you get on. Come back if the dealer is reluctant to help, ok?

kithmo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Nuts, not bolts, but yes, there was. In the U.S.A., it’s T-SB-0144-16 Rev1, “Click Noise From Rear While Driving,” issued on October 5, 2016 and revised on January 26, 2017. This bulletin applies to 2016 model year Prius cars with VINs earlier than JTDKBRFU#G3006967 or JTDKARFU#G3007491, and only if they “exhibit a clicking noise from the support nuts on the rear shocks.”

The countermeasure is to install two new nuts, part number 94130-61200. The nuts the ones shown in Figure 48-04 of the Electronic Parts Catalog, at the upper end of the shock absorber support assembly, labeled with part number codes 48750J and 48760C. The bulletin does not give detailed work instructions, but instead it refers to the Rear Shock Absorber section of the Repair Manual. The bulletin allows 1.5 labor hours for the whole job, which should be done at no charge to the owner if the vehicle is still under warranty.

The bulletin is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com; I couldn’t find a freely-available source.

6. Suri Potter

Suri Potter New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My brand new 2017 Prius makes some weird noise like a click at exactly 13mph first time when it reaches that speed after starting the car. The noise is from rear/left side. Is it same issue/symptom that is being referred here in this thread?

Thank you

7. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

So I'm not the only one! Everyday when I leave the parking garage at work I hear the initial brake clunk as the hill assist releases and I start rolling. Then when I get to about 10-13 mph rolling in electric I heard a clunk from the rear drivers side of my 2017. At this point the gas motor has not started and I'm still rolling in all electric. Haven't figured out what it is yet.

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your profile has a picture of a Gen 4 and that conflicts with the printed model 2007 two.

If you are referring to the Gen 4, then there is a tech bulletin out regarding a loose upper shock nut which can be remedied free under warranty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Asifpop

Asifpop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That happens to my car as well it happens when the car is turned on 1st time and when its in ev and u push the paddle and its still on ev.. this sound is like belt slips on a pulley.. i told the same to dealer they said its normal...the clunk sound i mentioned above is different

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    auto door locks at 13mph?

Tande likes this.
  11. Ken_Prius4

Ken_Prius4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Recently I got the same issue on the left rear. I haven’t been to dealer’s yet so confirmed yet. My concern is will they replace the nut for both left rear and right rear ? Even currently it only happens to left.

12. alexp2005

alexp2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This clunking noise at 13mph is a test of the ABS system. It's somewhere in the manual.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Ken_Prius4

Ken_Prius4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    had my car checked today. It was said the shock resistant needs to be replaced.