1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange deceleration noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LiaLady16, Dec 24, 2016.

1. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi priuschat people!

I'm new around here, so I hope I'm not repeating another thread, but I had a question about another Prius sound:

I can hear a couple of different noises while regenerating. One is a high-pitched whine, which I'm assuming is the smaller generator. That one hasn't changed since I started driving, but occasionally the other one does...It's lower in pitch and is prominent at lower speeds. I'm assuming that's the larger motor that handles the brunt of low-end accelerations. Lately I've been experiencing a louder, buzzy, and dissonant sort of noise around 15 mph...It doesn't happen at every stop sign but I'm beginning to get worried! Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks PC!

Lia.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like a vibrating exhaust shield or similar. how many miles on her?

3. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok! About 121000

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have someone listen in the engine bay while the engine is running, or put it on a lift and look the entire length of the exhaust. also check the motor mounts.
    is your oil level adequate?

5. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I'll ask my brother. The oil level should be good, I had my oil change last month!

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure to double check. though. A leaking drain plug or filter could lower the level.

valde3 likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Engine oil tends to move around especially after a change. That's especially when it should be monitored. At 121,000 odds are very good your car eats some oil. If dealer oil changed they will never alert you that you rolled in 2 quarts low.

And, you will be unable to distinguish between mg1 or mg2 operation by listening to them. Its much more complex than that so forget that as a discussion.

If at 121,000 miles things are starting to happen and starting to make noise that means time for some maintenance. Your overdue for plugs, a thorough throttle body cleaning, new air cleaner filter ,new engine coolant and new Inverter coolant and most importantly transmission fluid change. And a new water pump belt asap if not changed yet. And your in the ballpark for brakes too at the very least a brake check.

If your concerned about MG1 or MG2 operation maintain them. Change the trans fluid and Inverter coolant. In doing so you may discover issues.

Good Luck.

8. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, I am planning to change those fluids in a few months! I thought that the coolant should be changed at 150k? While that happens, I can do the transmission fluid and replace the coolant control flow valve. As far as plugs go, I thought I was supposed to wait until it starts running rough? The brakes are good, they've been checked already.

Now I'm wondering if the noise could be coming from the transmission? I doubt the previous owners had reason to change the fluid. I suppose it could be wearing out?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plugs should be done at 120,000 miles, according to your owners manual maintenance requirement schedule. in fact, a number of things are required. are you following it, or some other maintenance schedule?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coolants due at 100k . Inverter coolant way before that imho.
    If concerned about trans pull the fluid and investigate its condition
    Dump plug has magnet and will capture any metal wear.
    Put fluid in big wide container and look at it in the sun for any non ferrous
    Metal in it. You'll see it floating in the fluid. Smell for burnt fluid.
    A lot of us have sent our trans fluid out for testing for wear
    That info is in sticky at the top of this forum.

As far as waiting for things to fail that's not wise because it will
    Fail at the worst possible time.

Sounds like u may have just bought the car. It's best to address all possible maintenance possibilities asap.

Go to Toyota.com/owners forum and join and enter the vin
    You will see every episode the car has visited a Toyota dealer for service
    And will probably see why it was sold.

11. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reference to the owner's forum! I found much more information than on the Carfax. Yes, I did buy it used about 6 months ago. It looks like it's had a lot of maintenance, but I wouldn't really know what's normal. Now I understand why it's running so well!

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats good has it had all the coolants addressed? Great that the past owner took care of it and no horror story listed by the dealer. We see alot of auction cars that are really messed up and they find via the owners forum the dealer condemned the trans or the motor and off it goes to auction.

It probably has not had the trans fluid replaced at the dealer because its a lifetime fluid but I highly recommend you get it changed. Especially if your interested or concerned about strange mechanical sounds.

Also try to find a good mechanic as 90% of Prius woes are just general car stuff but so many people bring it to the dealer for everything. My Toyota dealer is at $150 an hour.

Ask around friends or at work if they know a good guy. I got a good shop down the street and there at $75 a hour for stuff I don't want to do which is becoming more and more. Trans fluid change is like around $150 all in including fluid. Really really easy open the bottom dump bolt let it drain then pour in 4 quarts of new fluid through the upper fill bolt hole. Open fill hole first. Very easy. Takes 4 quarts of Toyota WS Trans fluid found at the dealer for $12 a quart. Not sure haven't bought any lately so not up on exact cost..

Also if you like someones post just click the like button under that post. Thanks!

LiaLady16 and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, to update you...I know for sure it has had inverter and trans fluid done last year. I think it has had the engine coolant done, because it developed that pesky p1121 problem after the 90000 mile maintenance. It's also had new spark plugs, new PCV valve, and others in the last year...New brakes, new water pump, replacement steering shaft, etc...I feel much better! Thanks again for pointing me to the owner's forum!

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh you got a used car from a finicky owner your so lucky. Your good to go rock on. Only thing u need to do for trouble free driving is 2 things.

1-every Saturday morning before u start the car check the oil level on the dipstick. Keep it at the full line.

2--every time u get out of the car arm the alarm especially in the garage. This will let u know if hatch ajar or interior light on. This way u will never get a dead 12 volt battery that literally thousands have had and posted there horror stories of jump starts gone wrong.
    Sometimes a dead battery turns into a nightmare with this car. Search the forum here with

Dead battery

DigDoug likes this.
  16. LiaLady16

LiaLady16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right! I've noticed how the car will complain like that, and even when trying to lock the car with it running. The first time it happened I was standing in front of a fast food place, flummoxed, because I didn't close the hatch all the way before locking

Will do with the oil!

Thanks!

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it still making the buzzing noise around 15 mph?