1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Dorman Battery Voltage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ikefor, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, i got a friend whose Dorman battery recently failed. Well, he required some assistance with further understanding what the issue was as well as determine how to go about his warranty.

I decided to use my Techstream to pull some codes from the car's ECU but noticed some interesting voltages from inspecting the battery itself.

Voltages below were taken without the service plug inserted

1. Positive and negative terminal - 138 volts
    2. Positive to battery ground - 40 Volts
    3. Negative to battery ground - 72 volts

It appears that there is a short somewhere in the busbar/wireframe which explains why the Battery ECU is fried and wireframe connector to ECU has some voltages also.

Unfortunately, to process his warranty, he has to pay a high shipping cost from/to Africa which makes little or no economic sense.

I am encouraging him to order replacement OEM replacement parts, and do some module work on the pack instead but this will void his warranty.

Has anyone noticed this kind of strange battery voltages?

Attached Files:

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. That does not look good.
    You will need to open it up more (thus voiding the warranty) to find out what else is wrong.

Do you have your original battery pack?
    If so then you may be able to use parts from the original to fix this one, or vice versa.

3. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No my friend sold his old pack when the Dorman arrived about a year ago. There is no access to the gen 2 pri modules here but once can get access to TCH modules (the B2 and B4 modules). I have suggested that he make use of these modules in replacing any failed modules in his pack then do some module work.

What i don't know for certain is if you can mix these modules together (pri and TCH) because of potential IR differences or does one just replace all the modules with the TCH modules then do some module work?

#3 ikefor, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016