1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange HID Beam Cutoff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PM5K, Apr 26, 2020.

1. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    01DB0767-7ED3-45C0-B721-66B48ACA99F3.jpeg

So in the attached photo you can see that the left side cuts off at the bottom. Now I dont know which side is correct but the non-cut off side seems like a decent brightness, but maybe thats not the one working properly? I also noticed that the brights arent a lot brighter on the non cut-off side.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Background: Car was great when I got it except some minor issues but mostly the headlights. Burnt out turn/running bulbs, flickery HID’s, and water in one assembly. So I bought some used assemblies dirt cheap off a guy but they werent tons better (still worth the price though) and so now the one with the cutoff is from the guy and the other was original to the car I *believe*.

No error lights or codes. I checked the rear level sensor and it isnt obviously physically broken.

TIA

EDIT: After some more searching I wonder if my level sensor has failed? No codes but I guess they dont always shoot codes. They do seem to be kind of low.

#1 PM5K, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leveling sensor looks good, damn near brand new actually.

3. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible its just the ballast not providing as much juice on one side compared to the other?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the ballasts are only for starting the HID lamps.

Were the new to you headlight enclosures the correct ones for HID? Is it possible they are actually for halogen?

5. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    80C36F3E-B182-4D8B-AA07-9953106B5C11.jpeg 5300F7BA-9F10-4F61-8AC3-C17C89709E59.jpeg They have all the same plugs and look identical.

I searched more and it seems to be a manual adjustment issue, but the high one wont adjust at all.