1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange High-Pitched Buzzing When Motor is Off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusViking, Feb 25, 2019.

1. PriusViking

PriusViking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello! First time posting here, but I've read a lot and already love this forum!

I'm in the market for a new Prius to replace our 2007 that got totaled in a hit and run. We've been hard on the hunt, and I've been inspecting potential vehicles for mechanical issues. I'm by no means an expert or a mechanic, but these days you can teach yourself just about anything using YouTube and forums like this :)

Today I was checking out a 2012 base model w/ about 86k miles on it. I scanned the computers using my OBD2 scanner and it didn't throw any trouble codes. Visually everything looked fine besides the oil being a tad on the low side.

The weird thing was this high-pitched buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment. It happened whenever the car was on but the motor was NOT running. Maybe it's one of those strange "normal" sounds for a Prius, but I don't remember hearing it with other ones I've checked out. I have a video to share, but can't include the link yet since I'm a newb.

Any ideas? Just trying to figure out if this is something serious and if I should avoid this car because it's in really good shape otherwise.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's normal for the car to have a sound when it's on.

But I would be more concerned about the low oil

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was the A/C on? The A/C makes a buzzing noise.

4. PriusViking

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info! I don't remember hearing this particular sound on other cars, but maybe I just missed it.

And yeah, the oil level was a bit concerning. It was still in the acceptable range, but on the low end...basically just above the lower dot on the dipstick. I'm used to seeing it closer to the upper dot. The display did mention something like "Maintenance Due Soon", so it's probably about due for an oil change. Still...either it wasn't properly filled during the last oil change or it's losing oil through burning or leaking.

5. PriusViking

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh man...I'm not sure. I think it was set to "Auto" and around 72 or 73 degrees, but one thought I had was a high speed fan like something for the A/C or maybe something cooling the battery.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well the Prius is somewhat known to burn some oil in between oil changes. You would have to add as needed. If the previous owner neglects to add oil and let it burn down to nothing, then you'll have some issues later.

7. PriusViking

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gotcha. Thanks for all the info bud!

8. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does it sound like this ? Possibly the water pump on its way out. Mine was making this noise right before I got a check engine light for a water pump code. The pump seized up.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. PriusViking

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, it sounds a lot like that. The bees in the motor might be a little angrier in yours, but definitely a similar sound.

10. Rathmon

Rathmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You got a code for the pump? Man, you are lucky. My 2010 never threw a code, and the first time I found out I had a water pump issue was when it overheated on my wife and went into safety mode.

But yes, OP that is the water pump you are hearing. I will run even when the ICE is off because it's electric. A new pump will not whine that loudly.

Attached Files:

11. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

While searching for other threads for posts showing signs of a bad water pump, I came across this video...
    Sounds almost like mines, but with more scraping:

I just bought this as NEW from an online dealership near Boston, and have now just read their return policy and it looks like I am out of $200
    Car ran fine after I performed an engine swap, and around 180 miles in, I started to get overheating issues and after many burps, bleeds and vacuum tests of my coolant system, it's starting to look like it's this pump! :(

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That last video is clearly a pump sound, but the video from Joele3 is just the normal sound made by the throttle body. The throttle valve is positioned by a an electric motor being sent controlled pulses by the ECM. For whatever reason, the ECM keeps sending positioning pulses even when the engine is stopped. The sound in Joele3's video is just the sound produced by that pulse train and the magnets in the throttle motor.

You possibly won't take my word for it until you take a mechanics' stethoscope (they're cheap) and touch it to the throttle body directly. After that, you won't need any convincing. Or unplug the throttle motor and hear the sound stop (you'll get a trouble code though). It's funny what a variety of other things people end up guessing that sound is.

A fun thing about the throttle body buzz is that the throttle body has coolant piped through it, and water is a strong sound conductor, so you can pick up the same sound lots of places around the engine compartment. There's a large coolant pipe down the middle of the engine compartment that also gives off some of the sound (probably why some people guess it comes from the inverter). But if you chase it down you will find the throttle motor is the source.

13. 2004priusgal

2004priusgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Interesting, yes unclipped throttle and sound went away. Does coolant come from invertor pump coolant or other? Interesting that my 2004 sound came after pump changed, but also had throttle cleaning, so not sure which activated. bothersome. IS it correctable?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The throttle body is part of the engine coolant circuit, not the inverter coolant circuit. (Note that the engine coolant circuit in a Gen 2 goes kind of everywhere, even to the thermos out under the left fender, so the sound gets carried kind of everywhere too).

Because it's a normal sound produced by the normal throttle body doing what it normally does, I'm not sure how "correctable" it can be. It's possible it might get more noticeable as the TB bearings age, or something (I'm totally guessing here); if you replaced it you might find a replacement to be quieter. Or you might not. Or the replacement might be louder and you'd be really disappointed. It would all have to be judged against how much you want to fuss over a sound that isn't abnormal.

2004priusgal likes this.
  15. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

So I've been planning to taking a beat to update everyone what happened after this video, but just thinking about it just gives me a headache. So long story short for now, I swapped out the Gen4 Water Pump with another NEW OEM one. After doing my best to bleed it, the new one made the same exact noise and I was still having creeping Overheating issues.
    I spent like over 4 hours with the car outside, doing another bleed- jacking the car up and down and letting the coolant overflow out from the reservoir in its position and elevated from a bungie..jacking it up and down, forcing coolant into the purge valve..I tried it all to no success.

I threw in the towel and txt'd a buddy who used to be a Toyota Master Tech and told him everything I've done in the last few months with this car- which I was hoping to get the swap running and impress him with what I've done, but this became a consult instead. He then told me his experiences in the past in dealing with these Gen3's years ago while he then worked for Toyota, and the lengths the techs had to go through just to bleed the coolant systems in these cars. I asked him to go over everything involved in the swap that I performed, like checking the engine, the water pump, thermostat, egr, cooling lines etc. and assured him I would pay his rate for this inspection as I wanted to learn what from this experience on what went wrong.

So he had the car for around 2 weeks, checking over the engine, and everything else related to my swap. He did note that the water pump was working as it should (as seen through techstream) and that the noise we heard on the video may very well have been due to the air in the system causing that weird howling noise. He also couldn't find anything much happening with the 2018 engine itself, but was wondering about the crank and its communication with the 2010 ECU and would ask some of his other former colleagues how different- if any, are they from the 2010 engine...

After another week of testing and driving it, he just couldn't immediately see why there was still air in the system. He did advise he didn't find much wrong with the swap like the coolant lines, or wiring. It was at this point I gave up and offered to sell the car to him. I was just done with this turd. I lost all confidence with this thing to ever run 'normal' and not slowly creep up and overheat and leave me stranded somewhere.

He said he would continue playing around with it to see if he could find out what was causing this and let me know so I could learn from this, but I am just so over this.

I'm now back to DD'ing the F now. Just gotta remember to keep the speeds down!

I kinda did have some fun and took on the challenge of doing a job like this and learning some new skills along the way.