1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Humming Noise from Driver's side

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by harky, May 18, 2016.

1. harky

harky New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi
    First time Prius Owner (Four) and bought this car 5 days ago. I'm hearing a strange humming noise with little rattles while driving the vehicle and it seems the sound is coming from the driver's side, but can't pinpoint out exactly where. The noise is like low pitch, constant (sounds like blurrrr....??) and lasts about 4-5 seconds then goes away. Most of the time, the car drives smoothly, but I hear this noise time to time. I don't know if this is a normal for a hybrid vehicle, but I'm starting to get little bit annoyed. The car is great and I couldn't be happier. Does anyone have a similar experience or know something about this strange noise? Should this be a big concern?

Thanks
    Kev

Ben Little likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! should be your brake accumulator. is it the same sound as when you open the drivers door?

Peter the pickle likes this.
  3. harky

harky New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Bisco,

What do you mean by ".. open the drivers door?" Do you mean when I shut down the engine and hearing a little motor sound while opening the door? If so, no. The sound I am hearing is more like low humming w/ slight vibrations (it's very difficult to describe but like something is spinning). It only happens when I'm driving on highways either accelerating or hyper-milling.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you think you could record it?

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably wouldn't want to, but you could go for a drive with a Toyota service guy so he can tell you what is making the sound. Everything is under warranty right now, so it's better to get it fixed now than later.

bisco likes this.
  6. harky

harky New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quick Update:
    I went to the dealer this afternoon and the service technician also heard the strange sound. He said this was not normal. I'll drop off my car tomorrow and they will check the car. Hope everything is ok

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, please keep us posted. all the best.(y)

8. Ben Little

Ben Little Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I think I am also hearing the same sound. Appears to originate under or behind the steering column rather infrequently. I am not sure what it coincides with maybe acceleration but I'm not sure if it is acceleration with EV or the gas engine. At the moment I'm just chalking it up to some loose plastic in the dash. I drive the standard Canadian Technology level.

I would be very interested Harky to see what your dealer found out.

9. marcpablo

marcpablo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Easily fixed by dealer. Was causing a vibration noise. Here are the notes from the service report:

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A VIBRATION NOISE COMING FROM THE FLOOR VENT ON THE DRIVER SIDE PLEASE CH ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A VIBRATION NOISE COMING FROM THE FLOOR VENT ON THE DRIVER SIDE PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~. ~|~2245 UNABLE TO DUPLICATE VIBRATION NOISE ON TEST DRIVE. FLOOR VENT UNDER DRIVER SIDE DASH RATTLE WHEN TAPPING ON VENT, ADDED SOUND DEADENING FOAM AND VERIFIED NO DUPLICATED NOISE REPAIRED

10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I must be blind as a bat! Where exactly is the "floor vent on the driver''s side" located? Is it way up under the brake pedal, out of sight?

11. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also would like to know. Need to tape it up :)

12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I meant to say: is the floor vent way up above the brake pedal? It's gotta be inside that lower dashboard area.

Elt31987 likes this.
  13. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's the same vent that was making a buzzing sound on mine, it's a white plastic piece just to the left of the steering column, under the dash. Very easy to see if you get your head down there. A little foam tape on that, plus some between the smooth piece that covers the airbag, and the textured piece that surrounds the smooth piece, and all is quiet.

Elt31987 likes this.
  15. Ninobur4

Ninobur4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has same problem.
    I have happy news to report.

I crawled under the dash on the drivers side. There is a black panel under the dash held by 2 screws and 2 clips. Those come loose easy and I let it dangle.
    The white plastic duct is made of thin plastic . I stuck some foam tape on the sides of it. The outlet is bifurcated into 2 ducts ( holes). I put some more tape in between the outlet holes. I buttoned it back up. The whole process took 10 min.

I think that the thin plastic on the end of the duct was vibrating and the upper vent duct was acting like a horn amplifying the sound.

At this point the vibration is gone!

Dave

qadD4D, Coast Cruiser and Ziziwh like this.
  16. Ziziwh

Ziziwh New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmm I have the same hum/buzz a d brought it in and service manager told me it was "normal" as there's so much going on in that area of car. Basically said it was typical of hybrids. Felt like he dismissed me because I was a new owner of a hybrid. It's worse now after three months and makes me dislike the car even though I'm happy with it otherwise, will ha e to check out this solution! Thanks!

17. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I get a slight buzz at times from the seat belt shoulder height adjustment mechanism. I can get it to stop by moving the plastic bits (around where you raise/lower) forward or backwards slightly, there is a very small amount of play.

I also put a paper napkin in the sun glass holder to stop it from rattling.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  18. harky

harky New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Latest Update
    My apologies for not providing any update since my last post. The dealer could not reproduce the same noise during the test drive in May 2016 so I decided to continue to monitor and hope that it would just go away.
    However, the noise is getting worse and I left the car to another dealer today and let it with them overnight. The noise is coming at certain speeds (30-70 MPH) when I'm slightly accelerating or maintaining speeds. The noise seem to be coming from the Driver's side dashboard/air vent area. The noise comes on and off, but lately, it is getting more frequent. One thing I notice that the noise appears after car is driven at least 10-13 miles. I've recorded the noise in my Iphone and I just uploaded them in Youtube if anyone is interested to hear the sound

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i couldn't hear much. could it be suspension related, or even the hvac vent doors moving?

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, couldn't detect the hum on either clip.