1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange hybrid battery problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tweety1963, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Tweety1963

Tweety1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 06 Prius, 220k miles used as a taxi.
    Recently the battery has been going to full green then falling to no bars and giving me the red triangle.
    I also have what I suspect is a speed sensor fault which comes on when I go above 50mph , this gives me the vsc, abs, exclamation mark warning lights.
    If I choose not to clear the fault the hybrid battery performs perfectly so I am currently driving like this.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, you have multiple warning lights coming on. The rapid change in the battery "gauge" usually points to a HV battery problem. You will have no idea what exactly is failing on which system unless you at least pull codes. You don't want to do any repairs because it "drives ok".

Good luck with that. (keep your fingers crossed)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HV battery isn't a problem, just lost capacity and in need of deep cycling to restore capacity. Learn more here: hybridautomotive.com

But you dash lights are another problem entirely. Lights mean error code is stored and you can read error codes with an OBD2 device and Dr. Prius app. Here's a buyer's guide: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Once you have error codes we can give range of options on repairs.

4. Tweety1963

Tweety1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies, I will do some reading up on deep cycling, as an aside I probably do 100miles per day over an 8 hour period.

5. runxctry

runxctry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed that you may have two problems. There is some discussion about cycling the battery here by turning on the AC and headlights etc while the car is in engine-off mode, then switching it on and force-charging by depressing both accelerator and brake pedals. (please try to find the right thread, i haven't done this).

As for the dash lights, this might be due to a cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader. Please reply with the brand and/or the codes you are pulling.

6. Tweety1963

Tweety1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dashboard lights are because of the speed sensor problem I mentioned and I usually clear them and I consider it a manageable problem. I just noticed that if I don't clear them I have no issues with the hybrid battery.