1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange issued with Multi information Display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Skoob, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Skoob

Skoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well my Prius has over 205,000 miles on it. The MID is on the fritz. It will come on when I start up, show Information then about a minute later go off. I disconnected battery and reconnected and issue appeared fixed, but then it just went off. It started by flashing on and off a few weeks ago. I also reseated the connectors and it still does not come on.
    When it works I can go to any screen and it beeps when i press on the display. When it goes dark ac fans are working, radio works fine. Also steering wheel controls work.

Any ideas out there, or has anyone seen this? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the mid, or mfd?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He probably means the MFD (multi function display). What is called the MID on Gen 3 and later is something different. The Gen 2 doesn't have the MID as such. The equivalent is called the CM (combination meter), but it is much more basic than the Gen 3 and later.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are talking about the screen in the middle, that is the multi function display or MFD, yes is a known problem, although I'd not be quick to call it common.

Search is your friend and use the advanced search feature to restrict your search to Gen 2 forums only. Use MFD as one of your search keywords.

5. Skoob

Skoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was a typo, MFD.

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A couple of possible explanations:
    1. @dolj mentions the known problem of the bad solder joint on the main circuit board that @hobbit did an excellent job of discovering/explaining, and if that, replacement is the best course (look in local salvage yards for a base Prius, unless you have navigation.) Repair is possible if you can do SMD soldering.
    2. The LCD screen backlight (or its driver) is burning out. If this is the case, the MFD will still beep when blank, indicating that its computer is still functioning. While not easy, this is a screw-driver replacement with a new screen from eBay or similar. There is a YouTube video from a repair company on this problem.
    If replacement is your solution, you are looking for a 866110-47081 (available in base model 2004-2009) if you don't have navigation, or 86110-47071 (2004-2005 only) if you do have navigation. Newer MFDs will work in a base 2005, but you would have to move some of the wires around in the connector.

#6 ITBland, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018