1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange MFD issue.. frozen display.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dozzer, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A few days ago the whilst driving down the freeway to work I noticed the MFD was not updating the 5 minute MPG readings... The touch screen was working as I was able to change from 5 minute readout to the main hybrid display. This too was not updating s the power flow from ICE to battery etc was blank as I was doing 80 down the road.

A couple of button pushes later and also the aircon and radio screens were blank...
    When I got to work I powered the system off and back on again and it's now working fine.

Does anyone know if any Microsoft engineers were involved in coding this?! lol

Anyone else have this happen to them ?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds a bit like the loss of network connection to the CAN bus that happens to these due to fatigued solder joints, but yours is newer so that is a bit surprising. For instance:
    Prius MFD
    Similar info is available on the Luscious garage website. They are repairable, but also used ones are available for the the salvage companies like AutoBeyours.com.

3. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well it's working fine at the moment.. had other issues.. rattling engine coolant pump.
    Reasonably easy to change, but a pain to get the air out of the system! Scanguage was essential to see the engine temps...

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was the temperature like when the problems were happening? I don't imagine you were having a real heat wave there, but the MFD can be temperature sensitive, as reported by some.