1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Ashley Youngblood

Ashley Youngblood New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

I am literally freaking out over this noise. Has anyone experienced it before? It's really silent, so I'm shocked that my phone picked it up. It sounds to me like it is coming from under the left side.. Under my dashboard.

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe that's the coolant control valve. The '07 does that after power-up. I believe it can cause a trouble code to appear, but it hasn't in my case. I read that it isn't likely to cause problems, it may just increase the time for the coolant to warm. I haven't done anything about it...I just ignore it.

3. Ashley Youngblood

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know. It randomly makes the noise and then randomly doesn't. My car doesn't act weird or anything. Thank you for the response. I feel like I can breathe now, lol. I'm so glad I found this website!

4. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    +1 Control Valve and/or Pump. Once failed, it will raise the temps in the coolant and throw the error code.

5. Ashley Youngblood

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't had an error code pop up yet. Is that when I should worry?

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Pretty much, the noise is the valve or the pump laboring prior to failure. Depending on use, it may take awhile or suddenly.

When the car is in "ON" ( not READY ) can you see the fluid flowing rapidly in the reservoir? If so, you are good to go. Once in awhile keep an eye on it. if it stops flowing in a rapid state, it is time to replace the pump and or valve.

7. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought the coolant control valve was in the engine coolant loop and not inverter coolant loop. Isn't that right?

In more reading, I read about the theory that low engine coolant levels can cause the valve to stick. You might also check the level of the engine coolant at the radiator fill neck. It's under the large, black plastic cover across the front of the engine compartment. Just removing the few snaps on the cover in the front, passenger side corner is usually enough to pull it up a little and remove the radiator cap (only when the engine is cold). The coolant should be right up to the cap.

Ashley Youngblood likes this.
  8. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's the three-way coolant control valve and it is in the engine circuit. Mine did that for tens of thousands of miles before it finally broke and I got the code. I got so used to it, when I replaced the valve and it was quiet again, it took a while to get used to the silence. You should probably fix it sooner than I did. If it breaks in the wrong position, you won't have cabin heat, I hear.

Good advice above about checking coolant in the COLD radiator.

9. Ashley Youngblood

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, where exactly is the reservoir? I've had my car for 3 years and hardly know where anything is. I'm glad I found this chat! I'm ready to learn more about my car.

10. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You should have two if a HV.

The ICE ( Internal Combustion Engine ) has one and Your Electric Motor (Inverter) has one. If unsure check with your manual the reservoir locations.

Members are leaning towards the ICE reservoir. Locate that one and check the level. It would not hurt to find the Electric one too to insure it is rapidly flowing in the reservoir.

Google is your friend, PC also :D

#10 DRACO, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. Ashley Youngblood

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

Here is another video.

12. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay that goldish cover is your Inverter, now look to you left, you should see a reservoir with red colored fluid, is it flowing rapidly?

[​IMG]

I hear the isolating pump noise then it stops then a light continuous hum ( not the HID hum ), right?

In order to access the ICE radiator cap, you need to remove the black cover as stated by a member.

#12 DRACO, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  13. Ashley Youngblood

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll dig into this on Saturday and get back with you. Super busy with work the next two days. I'm off then. Again, thank you so much! I'll be back on here Saturday :)