1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange question...regarding camping in car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mattbatson, Mar 19, 2019.

1. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I camp out in my 2009 second gen (160k miles) for a week every month when I drive from NC to Fl to visit my 9 yr old son.

Because it is FL, I often run the air conditioning all night long. Usually only burn a couple gallons of gas (although have not tested this scientifically).

Anyways, onto my question...

With me sleeping in the back, when the engine turns on or off, the car jerks. Sometimes this jerk wakes me up.

How is this with the 3rd gen? Is it a softer jerk that may not move the car as much?

I have owned my second gen for two years, and the amount that it moves has not changed in that time. So I don't think it is soft engine mounts or anything like that.... I bought it at 80k miles and have put about another 80k miles on it

If a 3rd gen is smoother on start up/shut down....then it will be worth it to me to sell my second gen and get a 3rd gen.

thanks!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not what you asked but the 4th Gen is definitely smoother. Toyota learned a lot in 20 years of Hybrid design.

mattbatson likes this.
  3. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have spent 2 to 4 weeks per year camping in my 2014. It does jerk a little when the engine kicks on. Sometimes I notice it and other times not. One thing that helps a lot is applying the parking brake as it helps keep the car from moving on start up. Not something I would trade to try and avoid.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed a nice touch in my Gen 3 is that it always applies the hydraulic brakes just before starting the engine. (I can actually tell when it's going to start the engine, from the little click-squish about a half-second before.) My Gen 1 definitely did not do that, so if the parking brake was off it would just rock against the parking pawl.

I don't happen to know whether Gen 2 also applies the brakes like that or not. If it doesn't, then yes, Gen 3 is nicer. :)

kc5dlo and mattbatson like this.
  5. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I did not know the 3rd gen applied the hydraulic brakes...that is really cool. I am certain my 2nd gen does not and that would possibly make all the difference in the world.
    I do clamp down hard on the parking brake, and even push the front wheels into the parking curb to kind of wedge the car against something.
    but there is still a pretty noticeable jerk.

I get that most people, even those who have driven both, may not have even noticed this little detail...unless they have actually camped in both generations ;)

thank you all for your responses.

kc5dlo likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son had a Gen 2 and now has a Prius V (Gen 3). I know my Gen 4 is smoother but do not remember about Gen 2 -> Gen 3.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bring a tent?

I know, heresy...

Dael likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dael, Prieth and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I remember my first trip and it really did seem jarring and bothered me the first night or two. Now I am aware of it but it does not really bother me. Perhaps you would still notice it even if the jolt was less?
    The time the jolt really affects me is when I start to back out of a busy parking lot like a convenience store. Hit reverse and start backing out with my head on a swivel and monitoring the back up camera and the the engine kicks on. More than enough to elevate the heart rate and can see how it could irritate someone sleeping.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the first trip where I camped in it for a few days, I found that I was sleeping through it fairly well by the second night. Those things that happen regularly, you kind of tune out.

I used to live in an apartment where every time the 1980s-vintage gas furnace kicked on, it sounded in the bedroom like somebody banging a pot with a hammer then shooting a flamethrower.

11. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do A LOT of Prius camping. In fact, I would have replied to this thread earlier, but I just got back from 20 nights.

I know exactly what you are saying and I also agree with the other posters that it becomes less noticeable over time. And the parking brake is a good tip.

One additional trick I do and I *think* it helps.

When parking I let the car roll and stop it with the emergency brake. I then put it in Park. When the ICE kicks in, I believe there is less of a shake.

I'm currently testing whether rolling forward or rolling backwards is better. The jury is out on that one.

Obviously, not all parking spots lend themselves to this trick! :)

kc5dlo likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wheel chocks might help too.

I don't like to encourage you guys though: you should shut it down, pitch a tent, breath the fresh air. Camping in a Prius is gonna murder your Fuelly score, lol.

Dael likes this.
  13. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hear ya, but for me, its urban stealth camping. A tent's gonna give me away! Gotta follow my team on the road.

Prieth, kc5dlo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Crack the windows and shut down? With those window "awning" accessories installed you'd be ready for a little rain.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  15. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I’m sorry Mendel but I’m guessing you haven’t done much camping in south Florida in the summer

There is no way it will work without air conditioning for me

If you want to lay in your own pool of sweat staring up at the roof of your car or tent then have at it

Not for me thank you

I used a gallon of gas doing it last night

I can live with that 2.40 dollar expense

Prieth, rbdigital and kc5dlo like this.
  16. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not too mention I visit the city and there is no place to pitch a tent...

Thanks for the advice
    I will try that with the parking brake first

kc5dlo likes this.
  17. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel is correct for the other eight months of the year. You need to crack the windows for air flow on pleasant or even chilly nights otherwise you wake up with a bunch of condensation inside the windows. Those little awning accessories are perfect to maintain stealth.

Just got back from Florida and, at least where I was, it's still "crack the window" weather. Having A/C is wonderful, but for those three minutes every hour that the ICE runs, you lose quite a bit of stealthiness. By the time I left yesterday, gas was well over $2.40 -- more like $2.70+!!!

18. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The level of stealth is of no concern to me as I park in super Walmart parking lots along with all the other campers and RVs

Yes
    When it is cool enough to not run the air conditioning I crack windows and I have two large rechargeable fans

Gas could be 10 dollars a gallon and I’ll still run air when it’s hot

Worth it for a good nights sleep

Prieth likes this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some places you aren't allowed to sleep in a car. Are you staying in a campground, a road side rest area, a Walmart?

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It just went up to $2.75, from $2.59 the yesterday. Almost EVERY single brand and station it was $2.75. I think they all got together and said let's all charge the same price. This is mostly on I-95 from Vero to Palm City. This afternoon I did find a Sunoco that was
    $2.52. So I filled up!

Johnny Cakes likes this.