1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange radio behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Quattro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Early in the morning when I first started the car, the radio display was missing some display segments. When I tried to change the preset channel, it turned off the radio entirely. Turn it back on and hit any presets will turn it off again. It would go back to normal after about 5-10 mins. This happened 3 days in a roll last week but not once this week. Any ideas? 12V battery low affecting the electronics? It's almost 6yrs old.
    BTW, it's the 2010 non-touchscreen radio unit.

2. madelinesonja

madelinesonja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine used to do this only in very cold weather (below maybe 20F), then also in very hot weather (100F+). Now it does it seemingly at random, most recently last week in fairly mild temps (high 70s). The display shows a bunch of garbage and none of the buttons do what they should--trying to switch to FM2 ejects the cd, pressing cd turns the system off, etc. The controls on the steering wheel still work.
    It's a 2010 purchased new in September 2009, and it's been happening since that first winter. Dealer can never reproduce the problem so they can't help me. Would love to hear someone has found a solution.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like both of you need to check your 12v auxiliary battery voltages, at rest, and with a load (car off, with headlights on).

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first guess would be the button contacts need to be cleaned (but I have no idea how easy or practical it is to disassemble the radio enough to do that).

Depending on the design (which I don't know), it's not uncommon to have a bunch of buttons wired together on a smaller number of wires, where there's a certain, different, resistor associated with each button, and the controller circuit will infer what button you're pushing based on the resistance it sees. Of course, in that scheme, if the button contacts get old and tarnished with noticeable resistance of their own, it throws off what the controller sees, makes pushing one button seem like pushing some other button, etc. Sounds like what you're seeing.

If it can be disassembled to where a rubber bubble membrane behind the buttons can be lifted off and the contact pads behind them are seen, just wiping them well with some contact cleaner and reassembling might be all it takes.

-Chap