1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Red Triangle Behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fractal20, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always carry a portable jump starter and also have a jumper cable in my Prius. When the portable jump starter failed (because it wasn't recently charged to its full strength), I managed to seek the help of a good samaritan stranger on the street to open his/her car hood and give me a jump start, with a jumper cable.

Me: Excuse me, can you please help jump start my car?
    Her: I do not have a jumper cable.
    Me: I reach into my hatchback and show it with my both hands, and say, "I have the jumper cable" with a big grin on my face.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good post......except for THIS.

There is no such thing as a "good" trickle charger.
    What you should recommend is a good automatic tender type battery maintainer.
    There is a huge difference.

No. I did NOT say that.
    I think it is unlikely that it has been that way since the last oil change.
    And even if it WAS, that alone should not cause the oil PRESSURE light to come on.

#22 sam spade 2, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2023
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, you are correct. I used the wrong term for the charger. I use a nice NOCO fully automatic smart charger for a car that I only drive occasionally, and it sits for two or three weeks between uses. I drive my Prius almost daily, and the drives are long enough to fully charge the 12v battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Fractal20

Fractal20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I did. I'd say it is an inch above the full mark. Again, it is just strange because the oil got changed 6 months ago, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't cause issues until now, unless it is an accumulation of damage of having a high level of oil. Or if it is a combo of cold weather, and thus cold oil, and too much oil.

Just to reiterate, would you say an inch above the high mark is definitely bad for the oil level?

I just had the red triangle come on briefly with the low engine oil pressure light briefly and then it turned off. The last time I had driven it the oil shop couldn't get it in, so it still has the high oil. I'll leave it overnight with them now just to try and rule out that as causing the issue. I will also call around to mechanics to see if anybody in this small town would look at it.

5. Fractal20

Fractal20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I somehow didn't see the second page of posts and missed this. So based on your previous post you think a head gasket might be likely? Or what else could cause an increase since the last oil change? I did make an appointment with a shop to get it looked at, but that is 3 weeks out.

6. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Head gasket problems on a Gen 2 Prius are fairly rare. I would guess that the oil shop just overfilled it. Overfilling the oil is not good for your car. You definitely need to get it taken care of ASAP.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this mean you checked the oil level immediately after the oil change and the level was at (or below) the F mark at that time?

If you didn't check it, how do you know it hasn't been at that level for the last six months?

I find it strange that you now get the low oil pressure warning when your oil is so overfilled.

I also find it strange you are only just now having issues.

Yes, it is bad for the oil to be overfilled, so you need to drain off at least a quart, if not a bit more ASAP.

8. Fractal20

Fractal20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, my assumption is that it has been overfilled these entire 6 months. This readily makes my stupidity apparent, but I don't regularly check the oil on my prius. So that is why it seems weird to not have it cause this issue until now, unless it is a slow accumulation of damage.

9. Fractal20

Fractal20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again everybody for your time with this. Since I am narrowing down now to the oil problems, rather than the 12 volt battery problems which motivated this thread, I just made a new thread about the oil problems. I'm assuming an administrator will let me know if I should keep everything in a single thread, in which case I will delete the new one and re-post the update here. But here is the update in the new thread, in summary, it is clear the oil has been getting moisture or coolant in it. Oil Pressure Warning Light, Cold Weather, and Contaminated Oil | PriusChat