1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange sound coming from engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seb2005, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Seb2005

Seb2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am getting a strange sound (sounds like a pump?) under the hood of my 2005 Prius. I uploaded a video to youtube showing what it sounds like.

Sorry for the background noise, but I think you can still hear the weird sound. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The sound goes on and off but is on at least 50% of the time.

Thanks for any leads!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sound is from the coolant control valve. It seems many 2005 models are having this issue. There are write ups on here that shows you how to replace it. Part is around $80 at the dealer (DIY)....replacement cost is around $500 (at the dealer)

Seb2005 likes this.
  3. Seb2005

Seb2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you so much for the quick reply! Do you think that is something I should worry about and that definitely needs replacement or is it something I can live with?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It won't cause any driving issues. If you are somewhat handy at DIY, you can replace this fairly easily........or you can simply ignore it.

Seb2005 likes this.
  5. Oakman

Oakman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I may have the same problem, here is a link to the audio

Oops, I can't put links on this forum yet, and I need an answer asap. Please look on youtube for "eichelman prius sound" Thanks,

The sound cycles and is steady and repetitious, for about a minute.

It can happen while at a stop light, with brake on, or when coasting into our driveway, both before we turn the engine off, and just afterwards.
    The coolant was changed 4 months ago. Its a 2009 with 135,000 miles. It is happening more often now, and the dealer couldnt find or repeat the problem, but they tried to get air out of the system, but didnt really notice a big problem with air. Yet afterwards the problem persists.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sound is probably coming from the engine coolant valve which is located in the vicinity of the inverter. If the check engine light is not on, then you can ignore the sound. If the CEL is on then the valve should be replaced.

Even if the CEL remains off, if the sound really bugs you, then change the valve now.

7. Oakman

Oakman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife is thinking of traveling 1000 miles with it from VA to Ohio. I'm concerned that the engine might overheat, since this is a 'coolant' valve. Could that happen? - likely?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the engine coolant valve is stuck in one position or the other, there are two possible outcomes:

1. Either the cabin heater will not work very well, or
    2. The coolant heat recovery system will not work very well which means the gasoline engine will take slightly longer to reach operating temperature from a cold start.

Neither of those outcomes relate to engine overheating.

ANDRAS RIMELY likes this.