1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Sound my 08' is making

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ♡myPeeus, Jun 30, 2017.

1. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, just had regular maintenance done, oil, brakes checked, fluids etc as well wheels rotated.
    After holding your breath fingers crossed in hopes all is good, I had the dealer tell me my rear brakes are at a "3", and need replaced, well I use Les Schwab for my tires and brakes, and took my car to the for rotation and shown them what the dealer said on my reciept.
    Well the manager came out to tell me my brakes are fine, they are not as bad as was told to me.
    So I trust them finish up and on my way.
    I noticed a weird rubbing on metal sound , words are hard to explain this. But it reminded me of a sound that an emergency brake would make when in reverse backing up you forgot to release.
    But that isnt the case it happens while driving at speed limit and it sounds spontaneously. But isnt a good sound. Since Prius really dont make much sound at all. Its a metal on metal sound rubbing sound.

Any ideas, help to this before I drag my child back for a recheck will win smarty of the year! Please and thank you! :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like brakes

♡myPeeus likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're gonna have to jack her up and spin the wheels to see if you can detect anything. hopefully, no one took a caliper or drum off for a 'closer inspection.
    lug nuts need to be properly torqued as well.

♡myPeeus likes this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could have dropped a rock between the brake shield and the rotor, makes the same/similar noise as brake pads that are gonzo.

♡myPeeus likes this.
  5. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess what the pancake it was? My license plate cover was rubbing on the grill that is low on the front end and rattling. Les Schwab found the noise!

6. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats what i was thinking. But ut was the license plate cover in the front end. Blahhh

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base