1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange sound....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LoriP73, Jan 24, 2018.

1. LoriP73

LoriP73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last night on my way home from work I was stopped at a traffic signal, I lifted my foot lightly off the brake pedal and I heard this weird sound like my car had suddenly picked up something metal-ish and was dragging it on the pavement. I immediately put my foot back on the brake. The light changed and I had to drive on, the noise continued. I was talking with hubby on the phone while this happened and told him that I was scared to continue driving home. It sort of subsided, but I could faintly hear it every now and then as I continued the drive home. I checked to see if there was something strange under the car when I got home, but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Hubby took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and said that he could hear the noise too, but faintly. Again, I'm scared to drive the car. I have to commute about an hour to get to work, and another hour to get back home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I drive a 2017 Prius Touring.

Thank you.

Lori P

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can only recommend that you take it back to the dealer, it should be fine to drive there.

RCO likes this.
  3. LoriP73

LoriP73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This morning (Jan 24th), hubby and I took the car out for a little "cruise". It did well today, no metal-ish grinding sound. We both figured it was good for me to drive to work and home, so I took her out. No strange sounds at all today. YAY!!!!

Hubby thinks that it could have been some kind of build-up on the brakes from the "GUNK" that they use on the roads in the "big city" (calcium chloride liquid crap).

Won't be driving tomorrow as we're to get about 10 cm of snow. UGH!!!!

Will be mentioning the sound to the service department when I take her in for an oil change though.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That noise from the brakes grinding on the rotor disk is not uncommon. In damp air or after driving on wet roads the disks corrode slightly (normal) and the first should wear of after a few miles. As others have said on here before, you can expedite the clearing by coasting in Neutral and applying the brakes. You should choose a safe place to do this, maybe on a quiet downhill sloped road.

PS, welcome to Prius Chat. :)

#4 RCO, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, and surprised that they never heard it before. i get it almost everyday first thing.
    what is surprising is her statement 'the light changed and i had to drive on, the noise continued'.
    i don't get it without foot on the brake.

LoriP73 likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think as the disk rusts, the corrosion swells enough to rub against the brake pads until it's worn off again.

#6 RCO, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    LoriP73 and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's some serious moisture!:eek:

LoriP73 likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I was gonna say, something must be stuck between the brake pad and discs or something that is rotating as the car moves. It obviously dropped or melted overnight.

LoriP73 likes this.
  9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It could have been that guy trying to clean the windshield, dragging along.

RCO likes this.
  10. LoriP73

LoriP73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you to everyone for your replies.

The weird sound has subsided.

Annnnnnnd..... hubby took me to work on Thursday due to us having a "heavy snowfall warning" and I'm glad he took me in, you couldn't see anything aside from 1 lane on a 3 lane highway. Plus..... people in their "cars" were having a tough time getting up the main hill to get home. *sigh* Hubby has also informed me that tomorrow, he WILL be taking me to work again, in his tank. lol

Lori P.

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly what hubbies are for. Sounds like you got a good one! ;)

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just like to point out how dynamic of a range of shades that Hypersonic Red/Emotional Red displays.

RCO's photo is on a cloudy day but it appears the sun is poking out from behind, giving a brighter red (the light is reflecting off the titanium flakes layer). Lori's is taken on an overcast day, showing the darker side of Hypersonic (you're seeing through the titanium reflective layer and into the base red paint).

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you were there, Sherlock! (y)