1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange sounds from front and rear:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by berinker, Jul 19, 2008.

1. berinker

berinker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm a new owner of a 2004 Prius. Can anyone tell me what the whirring and whistling sounds are after I shut down or just after I push the on button to start up? Does the Prius pump the coolant out of the radiator after shutdown and then feed it back slowly after startup so the car will heat up quicker?
    And - periodically there is a clicking and rattling sound in the back.
    Mystified,
    Bud

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All those sounds are consistent with normal operational sounds (at least for a Prius ;) ) and they come from the engine compartment in the front.

The whirring sound is the pump which moves hot radiator fluid to and from the thermos type bottle . . . and you are correct, it is to warm up the engine quicker.

The hissing followed by the clicking sound is the brake accumulator.

Welcome to PriusChat berinker.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bud,

There are three "system main relays" located within the traction battery metal enclosure at the back of the car. Maybe you are hearing the relays engage and disengage...

4. badrufus

badrufus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I knew the Prius made strange sounds, but since I've only had mine for three weeks, I'm still getting used to them. Last week I actually climbed up into the attic over the garage, determined to locate what must me a giant bee hive. After a thorough search with a flashlight, lots of sneezing from insulation, and a few times nearly missing the beams and going through the garage ceiling, I realized it was the Prius.:rolleyes:

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the clinking and rattling in the back might just be the spare tire or the metal tools used to change the tires... double check to make sure they're securely fastened... if not, then it might be the relays like Patrick has mentioned.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get both an Owner's Manual and a Scheduled Maintenance Guide with the car? If not, buy them, either from a Toyota dealer or online. They can answer questions like that one and save you trouble and money.