1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange tick sound from behind driver seat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mhajii210, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mhajii210

mhajii210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Okay I took my car in this morning. Unfortunately my girlfriend adjusted the passenger seat (slid forward or back) last night. Of course when I took the car in the seat is quiet as can be. I just don't understand how the noise goes away after the seat is slid forward or back. The noise eventually comes back. I went through this with the driver's seat and it was incredibly frustrating just to get the damn thing to make the noise during the test drive with the service technician. Now I have to go through this whole thing all over again with the passenger seat. I honestly don't think I will ever buy another Toyota again. I know others have reported no rattles with their Prius here on the forums and others have. I just can't understand how a car with only 15k on it has had one seat assembly replaced and now needs to have it replaced for the other seat. A complete joke!

2. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also had this annoying “tick†noise emanating from under the driver’s seat. I performed the below fix and the tick noise is now gone.

Move the driver’s (left front) seat all the way forward. Open the rear door, kneel down and look underneath the seat. You will see a plastic cover that sits on top of and protects the satellite radio tuner. This cover is labeled “Audio Amplifier Cover†in the attached picture and is made of the typical, hard, noise making, plastic. The cover is held in place by two hooks on the front edge and two push pins toward the rear. When one or both OEM push pins become loose the cover can shift upon acceleration and braking and make the tick noise. I fixed this by removing the cover, applying a dab of DAP latex caulk to the bracket hooks and around the bracket push pin holes, and then reinstalled the cover with new push pins from NAPA (PN 665-3278). The NAPA push pins lock tighter than the OEM pins and the caulking sticks the cover to the bracket, preventing it from moving. A small amount of caulk will not prevent the cover from being removed in the future, should it need to be removed for repair/replacement of the radio tuner. Note that you will have to shorten the male end of NAPA push pin that goes into the right side of the cover so it will fully seat without hitting the top of the radio tuner. See attached annotated picture.

There is another similar cover under the right front passenger seat for the audio amplifier. It was not making noise, but I performed the same operation to it to prevent the cover from making noise in the future.

I strongly encourage everyone who has this noise to perform the above easy fix. There may also be other sources of noises in the seat area, but this one appears to have been the cause of the tick noise in my car. Also, DO NOT take your car to the dealer and allow them to waste your time, damage your interior and send you home frustrated with the problem unresolved.

Attached Files: