1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Window Defect - Driver's Side

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ozzzy, May 31, 2021.

1. Ozzzy

Ozzzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Our 2017 Prius Prime Plug-in Advanced has a very strange driver's side window defect, that appears to be slowly growing. It is occurring between the window laminate layers... if you touch the window on either the inside or outside, you feel nothing. It changes in color between hazy white and hazy clear, depending on the temperature of the day. HAS ANY ONE ELSE SEEN THIS BEFORE OR KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??

We spoke with Hoffman Toyota service about it, the last time we brought it in for maintenance, but they said they would charge us to around $400 just to take apart the door just to determine what it is. They seemed baffled by it. :-/
    inside view.jpg outside view.jpg

Attached Files:

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like the look...

MIkeDr likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s some special laminate or coating on the front/side windows of some high-end models, to help rain run off IIRC. My guess would be that’s the culprit.

this thread could have legs, like the sunroof gasket deterioration, metallic white paint peeling, C pillar peeling, pleather steering wheel peeling, and touch screen reboot threads.

Ozzzy likes this.
  4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I did a quick Google image search for delaminating window glass and came across several similarities. It does look neat, though. Sort of like Mandelbrot images.

Ozzzy and krmcg like this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not seen it on a PRIUS - have seen it on older cars. BUT - I'd be talking to TOYOTA Corporate - as it seems like a manufacturing defect.

Ozzzy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, one that could crop up more. I think they’d like to see it; should be able to better than the baffled locals asking $400.

Ozzzy likes this.
  7. BellevilleMXZ

BellevilleMXZ Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    Bad glass....seen before on other cars. If Toyota wont help, see if a glass place will put a used in....but price a new one first....might not be that bad $$$

8. Ozzzy

Ozzzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread with the good news that I indeed did contact Toyota Corporate, like you recommended.
    I opened a case and spoke to several corporate customer service agents that said that they were unable to help since there were no recalls of this type and the car was beyond the warranty period. But they did forward the case on to the dealership that sold us the car (and from which we had purchased an extended warranty). Once the dealership received the corporate request, we got a swift reply from them that they were happy to help resolve the issue for us at no charge because we were valued customers (funny how they didn't feel this way when we first brought the issue to their attention months prior and wanted to charge us $400 just to take the door apart). But it still took months of persistent follow up calls & emails, and patient waiting before the window was finally replaced for us at no charge at the dealership this week (and no, the extended warranty did not help us at all in this situation). But for me, best of all was the final acknowledgement by the Dealer Service Manager and Toyota Representative, that the window was indeed severely delaminated and caused by a rare manufacturing defect. So hopefully now they won't tell any other customer that calls with this same issue, "we've never seen anything like this before".

So, thanks or the good advice! :)