1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not sure if this recent purchase will be worth repairing, but I'm getting a strange reading on my ScanGauge.

The 12v was dead, but I jumped it and the car started right up with no CEL showing. Ran for about 15 seconds, died, and the CELs lit. My SG shows DTCs for 0100, 0100, 1656, 1128, and the obligatory 3191.

Strangely, my SG shows HV battery voltage at <10v and charge percentage at 9, which makes no sense. The car wouldn't start with those values, right? Pulled the mats back and see that the battery has three large labels and looks brand new. Do those labels mean it's not the original battery? Car has 149k miles.

Looks like the owner drove it into the back of a large truck - the impact is a straight line right above the bumper that folded the hood up, broke out the headlights, and pushed the core support/radiator back. Impact wasn't so hard that the aprons bent, but the driver's fender has a small bend in the very front. Passenger's is fine.

However, the inverter is pushed back and tilted now. The inverter coolant reservoir is broken off its mounts to the inverter. I've never messed with an inverter. Can it move like that without hurting anything below it? Or itself - maybe it has mounting points that have snapped?

Again, my parts car has a perfect front end - actually everything on it looks good, just got flooded. My hope was to use all those parts to repair this one,

The DTCs aren't too scary. Looks like the impact could have messed up the MAF sensor, or the complete throttle body. It sounded fine while running. I'm going to have my body shop look at the core support. I assume it bolts in such that I can just pull it off and bolt on the one from my parts car. However, it might be spot welded, which requires more work. Radiator definitely shot, probably the fan and shroud too. Maybe the inverter pump. A smaller radiator that sits in front of the main radiator (oil/trans cooler?) looks good, it was below the impact point, although it leans back now.

Bottom line: it looks repairable if the inverter can be straightened out and repositioned. Or if one from my parts cars would be any good - I have two parts cars, both with engines intact and one didn't get water up that high.

However, what's up with that battery charge? Plan B was to just salvage the battery. So now, I'm not sure whether to yank out the battery and haul the rest back to the auction yard to see if I get any of my money back, or leave the battery and start tearing apart the front end.

So, any input about a crooked inverter or 0v battery indication?

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Shame since the rest of the car is so clean. touch screen display works great, and this is the only Gen 1 I've ever seen that has a steering wheel that's not all flaky. Now that I think about it, it's steering wheel doesn't even have that soft material that wears off; it's entirely hard plastic. Was there a replacement/upgrade available? Also found several years worth of maintenance receipts in the glove box - lady seems to have taken real good care of it.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Another option is to swap this engine trans whatever else into the parts car. I'd asked earlier if anyone knew how much work is required to swap those out but didn't get an answer. Anyone know?