1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Straying from the fold

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 24, 2018.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    After what, 11 years or so, I'm loosing my way. Two friends have "gone Prius" by my lead. Now I'm trading in Pearl S and my FJ Cruiser for an Infiniti QX 50 (2019). Mostly because of the wonderful fit and finish but also partially because to get around easily an SUV is best here in winter and this car gets "not bad" mileage, so I can replace both of my current cars with it. Only one vehicle to maintain, insure and drive. I will miss the once a month fuel-up of the Prius, using cheap "regular" fuel. I considered the RAV4, but it's overweight, overstyled, and not very comfortable to sit in. The Infiniti beats the RAV4 on highway mileage but not city mileage. I was also impressed by the Infiniti "curb weight", at 2850 lbs, the lightest SUV I've seen for 50 years! Fully loaded up it can handle over 5000 lbs! That's quite an impressive carrying capacity. That thing is lighter than a Prius hatchback! Aluminum hood and doors and who knows what else.

Anyway, it's not going to finally happen for a few months I'm told (ordered but not delivered) so I'll still be hanging around here for a little while longer. Life gets interesting!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least we did not lose you to Tesla! Good luck with the new wheels and thank you for the posts. I probably need to retire the 2006 soon, but will likely go v or Camry (Hybrid) or stick with Prius.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why are we in gen4 prius main forum? i thought you had traded up.(n) all the best!(y)

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interesting and congrats! Did you consider the Subaru lineup? Yeah, even our OutBack beats the RAV4 hybrid in highway mileage which is where our subie spends 90% of its life.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have you tried a RAV4 Hybrid?
    The QX50 24-32MPG
    50,000$ for the safety packages.

The Rave4 30-34MPG
    35,000$ for the safety packages.

25% better around town MPG

RCO likes this.
  6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People change brands all the time, for a variety of reasons. Best of luck.

Let us know when you trade that overpriced QX-50 for another Toyota.

Personally, I think Toyota faces a bigger challenge with Hyundai and Kia who are ramping up the quality and reliability.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was gonna say - 2019 RAV4 Hybrid

But the QX50 is mightily impressive. That's the one with the VCT engine, right? (variable compression turbo for you non-car guys/gals).

Also, that is VERY light. Holy cow. That's lighter than the Prius or Corolla. A Yaris sedan (née Mazda2) weighs 1,085kg/2,385lbs)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    QX50 hasn't arrived here yet (6 mths time) - but has been reported as getting diesel like fuel efficiency from the VCT engine. Which, with the current environmental woes diesel has suffered is probably a good thing.

It will be interesting to compare its ICE's efficiency with the PRIUS ICE.

#8 alanclarkeau, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  9. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Uh, . . . that weight of 2850 pounds you mentioned is a typographic error. It's really 3850. Sorry.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I came back here to post about that weight. The US site lists a higher curb weight (closer to 1700kg) so yeah it appears the Canadian site has a typo.

RCO likes this.
  11. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's not made of unobtanium after all! :cool:

12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe - it's made of Lithium - which is the lightest metal. Hopefully not, it's extremely reactive and will look like this in no time:

Attached Files:

RCO, Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought Tesla’s were the only thing made of unobtanium:whistle:?

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  14. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Nope, you're all wrong. The car they had for "demo" IS an American one, and reading the tag on the drivers side door jamb, it IS 2850 lbs. Not a typo on the web site. Unless they are going to issue a recall to change all the door jamb tags. ;) Like all of you I am suspicious of the low number, but hoping it's correct. :)

The Canadian cars arrive next week, I'm told. The colour I wanted was already sold in the fully equipped model I ordered so they are saying September. Unlike my friend, who ordered his Prius hatchback in an unstocked interior colour (for Canada). Next day they were building it on the production line in Japan. It left by boat two days later. Three weeks after that it was "delivered".

Now, the Infiniti is assembled in Mexico. They (Infiniti Canada) decided to ship them by rail, hopefully before the wall goes up. ;) I'm told half the order for Edmonton went to Calgary and half went to Vancouver. Woops! They are learning a new shipping method I guess.

I'm getting too excited to wait three months, and may change my colour choice today, if there are any left in the current shipment.

15. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are letting your emotions overrule your brain. Not sure what your 2850 on the door is but it actually weighs between 3810 and 3957 pounds.

qx50 Infiniti 2019 weight - Google Search

I might add that buying anything new (especially a new engine design) in the first year of production is a mistake. You are the beta tester.

16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that might be a little extreme. There are multiple factors that go into a car purchase. In some cases you might need or want to replace a car this year, and if the car that best suits your needs happens to be a first year model, no need to compromise with a less suitable car just because of that. Yes there will be an increased chance of having to make a couple or more visits to the dealer for recalls. And I'm sure there are a few horror stories out there over the years.

Agreed everything else being equal if you have a choice of waiting for the second model year that would normally be better. But as with the recent although unusual situation with the Prime, you could in many cases get a 2017 Prime for up to $7000 less than a 2018, so not exactly a black and white decision in that case, although it was more of an exception. Although getting model year end closeout deals in general is not unusual. It's a good point that you bring up, and something to think about, but it's a judgment call and not always a no brainer to always skip the first year.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yup. I'm letting my emotions rule.

I wouldn't buy next year's model Prime if Tideland is correct that they are going to reduce the fuel tank size. Strike one!
    I won't buy a Prime unless I can actually see and drive one. None available in stock in Alberta. Strike two!
    When you buy a Prius in Alberta you are forced to buy a useless 200W block heater at the inflated price of $400. Strike three!
    Toyota's out!

And the first QX50s arrived today at the dealer. Saw them in the lot, still covered in shipping plastic.

Oh, and as for reliability, first year or not, the GIII Prius are having problems with parts that are NOT new, such as IPM modules, engine head gaskets, oil consumption. And in Canada they won't stand behind them, unless you mean standing behind as you leave the lot after being told "NO".

As I said above, Toyota's out. Just glad the news of the above failures are not widely known, and I'm getting reasonable trade in value.

I may be back if I'm still driving when I get tired of the QX50. I'm WAY past my "best before" date, and am enjoying the money I have saved up, some of it thanks to my Prius ownership. It has been a slice Toyota, I have enjoyed the technology. I'm about to enjoy some other new technology.

If Nissan figures out that combining the variable compression ratio engine with the HSD would yield a fuel economy winner, Toyota might be in trouble. ;) After all, the most popular vehicles at this time are SUVs and PUs, and this possible combination -might- make them practical fuel mizers. Of course most are/should be horrified I'm going back to an SUV. Whatever.

#17 David Beale, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats and good luck. I've similarly got a Leaf that is all aluminum. I know what the Alberta hails are like and in the winter sometimes a line of bumper cars can take you out. Those aluminum panels from Nissan/Infiniti are super hard to replace. Took months for my door skins to arrive from Japan when it was hit-and-run in a parking lot.

19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Correction. Upon closer inspection the weight figures are not "curb weight". That is not given. They list the maximum weight and the maximum weight per "axle". This is funny, because the owners manual tells us to refer to the door sticker to get the curb weight, and of course it isn't there. Sigh. But even if the car weights 3600 to 3800 lbs that's still light for an SUV (yeah, I know, they call it a "Crossover", because, they tell me, it doesn't have a frame. But my 2001 Pathfinder didn't have a frame and it was called an SUV - more non-sense from car companies!).

20. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correction: It weighs 3810 to 3957.