1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Struggle to revive I gen prius - need help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sadripper, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

first off I want to greet everyone here and thank for the loads of knowledge I found on this forum.
    And now down to earth: drunk as I was I bought Prius I gen with only 80K miles, however hit from the front. It wasn't operating, so no airbags were deployed. The car sat for about a year when I started to put puzzles together and where am I now?
    1. The HV battery is somehow charged - two cells are trash I guess - 4,5V and 5V week after charging.
    2. Screen starts and shows one bar on the battery, but as soon as I turn the key the lcd screen goes off - comes back after I turn the key from the start position.
    3. No indication of changing gear - In P I cannot roll the car, so mechanically something happens - no square around P R D N and B however.
    4. Regular OBD BT reader shows errors related only with regular engine: P0100 and P1636

Don't know what to do next. Here's short video of me trying to start the car:

Can saomeone help me with that? I live in Europe and there is NOONE I could ask for help with I gen:(

2. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Congrats on your low mileage vehicle. I’m a Gen 1 owner and while it is difficult to see all the screens you’re rotataring through here, it does appear to me you have not turned on the ignition. You need to turn the key one more click to fully start the motor. You’ve got the vehicle in what appears only the READY mode.

You can move the car from P to B, D, etc in READY mode, and the sounds I’m hearing sound just like my vehicle. The Gen 1 still turns on like a regular car. The hybrid system once the vehicle is fully on alternates back and forth between gas and electric depending upon the driving condition, needs. Now, I’m no expert here, but I do know a bit about the car and have first/hand knowledge.
    I’m hoping this is all it is for you.

I’m an original 2002 owner under 100K and all is good for the most part. Once you get it going, drive the wheels off of it, you will love it.
    Keep us posted.

#2 Sandy Meyers, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

thx for replay - however the situation is a little bit different. I turned the key from ON to ignition, but every time I do it, the LCD screen goes off - and than comes back again when I turns the key back to ON position - no other effects are abserved:( Apart from that, there is NO square around the P, R etc - and it should be, and the square should move along with the gear lever - or it appear only after the ICE is operating? My wife is driving IIgen, so it looks different.
    Good thing, there is no triangle of death displayed.

I don;t know - the car was hit, so maybe there is some kind of impact sensor? Emergency cut-off for the inverter? Or maybe I am missing somethin...
    EDIT: in the evening I record better video, without all that sun!

4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In the key selections, my car has the four following choices. You need to turn the key to the “start” mode.
    LOCK
    ACC
    ON
    START

If you’re in the START mode, and the fuel motor is not trying to start, then I would begin checking the normal vehicle things that would likely prevent that from occurring. Start with the simple things first.

I would check the 12V battery to see if it sufficiently charged to start. You can always try jumping the car or using a booster pac to see if that will start it. Check to be sure all connections are secure as well.

Try checking the alternator. It could be dead.Check to be sure all connections are secure as well.

From there, there could be ignition issues that are beyond my experience. I’d check with some of the contributors here. I’d first check to see if you can get it jump started. If it tries but sputters, could be injectors need cleaning, but I don’t want to lead you down an impossible rabbit hole. You’re not even there yet.

You’ve got to get the car to turn over. The car is on and running when the key is engaged and in the START setting. “ON” simply gives you access to electronics like lights, radio etc. That would also be considered “ignition” mode I believe. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll repost.

#4 Sandy Meyers, Jul 19, 2019
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly don't know Poland at all, what's available and who can do hybrid work. Ideally, you would just tow it to an independent repair shop that works on hybrids or to a Toyota dealership. These cars a different from just about anything on the road, so a lot of tried and true solutions won't work.

There are two batteries in the car. In the trunk on the left side, there's a 12 volt battery that maintains the settings in the various computers and provides power for all the various accessories. It must be charged for the car to start, but it doesn't actually start the car. Under and behind the back seat is the big high voltage battery which should have about 300 volts--it is what supplies the power to start the car. The alternator/starter/drive electric motor on the left side of the transmission is what charges the big battery and helps push the car--there's another electric motor on the other side of the transmission as well. On the left side of the engine bay is the inverter, it turns the high voltage into 12 volts to keep the little battery in the trunk charged as well as the high voltage battery. If your high voltage battery is low or badly unbalanced (modules that are low voltage) the car won't start. They all need to be between 7.5 and 8 volts each. Sitting unused for a long time kills the modules.

You need some tools, a factory repair manual set is necessary and you need an old laptop with a MiniVCI cable and Techstream software to diagnose--it will give readings on all the modules and will read all the trouble codes.The MiniVCI is available from Amazon or on Ebay. Probably even in the EU. My Techstream is installed in a dedicated Dell Win XP laptop. I understand it can also be installed in later versions of Windows.

Listen, if you have a background of repairing your own cars, can read, and think, you can probably get enough knowledge by doing online research and on this section of PriusChat. We have some of the best experts that check in almost daily. It can be done--I did it and I started from knowing nothing a couple of years ago to being fairly competent today.

But basically, in idiomatic American English, you stepped in a big pile of dog poop when you bought this car. They are very much a thinking person's car to work on.

#5 Brian in Tucson, Jul 19, 2019
    WHCSC likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the instrument panel shows signs of life when you turn the key to ON, but the signs all fade when you turn the key further to START, then the 12-volt battery has bugger-all of a charge on it ... not terribly surprising, if the car has been sitting for a year (a 12-volt lead-acid battery will usually self-discharge more or less completely in a few months).

Give that battery a good long generous charge, and then see what happens. If you have a charger that advertises a "de-sulfating" feature, that's worth a try. A lead-acid battery that has self-discharged (over a few months) and then sat discharged (for the rest of the year) is likely to have a thick layer of lead sulfate over the plates.

There's some controversy over how well any of the "de-sulfating" chargers actually work, but if you have access to one, maybe it will help.

If you turn out unable to resurrect the 12-volt battery that is there, just put in a fully-charged new one, and see what happens.

7. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

thanks for all the answers - I feel I need to clarify that I have some background and experience in the automotive field - from changing wheels to swaping engines, so with all due respect, I know how to turn the key;))

Suspecting the 12v battery is dead, I used a spare one I had in the garage - larger one, but I hooked it up with starter cables - so this part works fine. My first concern is however lack of the square around P R D and N letters on the screen - in my second prius (gen 2) this square appears the second I use the starter button.

Apparently there is also no communication between the HV ECU and main ECU - error code P1636. Since there is no damage in this area of the car (dashboard and interior), I suspect there probably is some kind of impact sensor which disconnected whole thing from each other and prevent from turning powering electrical motor which, in turn, doesn't start the regular engine.

Soooo, long story short - on the screen there is indication, that the HV battery is at least in some extent charged, no triangle of death, no indication of moving gear lever, and turning the key from ON to IGNITION results in turning the screens off. As soon as the key is back in ON position, touch screen and dashboard deisplay with all the icons appear again.

Also - when I turn my gen 2 prius on, there is a click from the HV battery compartment- in this one HV battery is completly silent.

What should I check next? And are there any impact sensors/ g-force circuit breakers? btw - hope you understand, that english is not my mother toungue - have some understanging for typos and mistakes:)

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a two-year old thread regarding another DTC P1636 error. Maybe you will find this is relevant to your car's problems.
    Generation 1, P1636 error | PriusChat

It would help if you obtain Mini VCI (Toyota Techstream clone) to ensure that you are retrieving all DTC logged by the various ECUs.

I am not aware of an impact sensor that would open the fuel pump circuit.

Obviously, you should inspect the area damaged by the accident to see if any wiring harness damage resulted from that impact.

It would also be helpful if you have factory repair manual info to refer to, which you can obtain at the Toyota Europe website:

Toyota Service Information

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a gizmo called the "circuit breaker sensor", C3 in a 2001 US wiring diagram. It's mounted on or near the outboard edge of the inverter, toward the front.

10. Sadripper

Sadripper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Confirmed, there is! How to check if its bad? BTW, this is exactly the spot prius was hit- no serious damage, however signs are clearly visible.

11. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Easiest way is to swap in a known good sensor.