1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strut/absorber assembly squeaking when wheel is being turned need second opinion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Randall71, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Randall71

Randall71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2015 prius and when the care is standing still and I turn it to the right or left I get a squeaking noise. I have isolated to I think the upper assembly of the strut/absorber. I am not having any drivability issue but without being able to fully see how the to part of that assembly is put together I dont know what specifically is creaking or what material is its made out of. So my first question is does any one know what specifically is is squeaking in that part of the strut and if so how serious it is and what are my best options. I was hoping that if its a part of the assembly that is just worn and dry that it could be lubricated some how but its just hard to tell because there is no way to see it. I suppose I could go to an auto parts store and see if they have one I can look at and that might tell me but my hunch is its wearing out and its only a matter of time before it needs to be replaced. Any and all help is appreciated. ive attached a photo of the part of the strut where the nose is coming from. this isnt the actal strut from my car but its the same assembly

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Upper strut mount and bearing assembly very common noisy wobbly part more so with age and 2015 car wouldn't surprise me with that mileage if it was starting to be wore out wobbly whatever they don't make any of this stuff like they used to you're on the right track

3. Randall71

Randall71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has 160,000 miles on it. its only squeaking when I turn the wheel from stopped position, nothing wobbling and driveablity is not currently affected. Trying to find out specfically what component in the uppper assembly is causing the squeak and then determine whether or not I can let it ride for a while or if its a component that can be lubricated to give it some extra life then maybe I can do that.

4. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Your shocks/struts are probably all dried up. Try this.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Geez, I don't know: main (only?) ingredient is "glycol ethers".

From the Safety Information, down the page:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCBAT205

(Splashing around stuff like that may explain Scotty's increasingly chaotic behavior... :ROFLMAO:)

6. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When Ford changed the design from 2010 to 2011 on the mustangs the 2011+ had squeaking strut mounts bad. Even though people complained about the new design not being a sealed unit ( it would come apart if you pulled as well) you could take the mount apart. The issue was dirt and grit in the bearing race. We fixed friends one time by just yanking all of the bearing balls out wiping out all of the grease and trash and reassembling with the new bearing grease. lol
    More than likely you might just wanna replace the mounts though.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We used to spray em with marvel oil in spray bottle. Even the lower line strut assemblies now come with with springs on them and these pieces already packaged and mounted so a lot of people just go ahead and replace you can try oiling them sometimes other quieten them up longer than you'll have the car