1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut mount movements

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SmellyTofu, Jan 31, 2023.

1. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the strut mounts supposed to not only rotate on the horizontal axis but also change angle as you turn the steering wheel? I'm concerned my strut mounts are the cause of my suspension noise as I've checked for loose tie rod ends and loose bearing.

This is the view at full lock to the right where it looks like the strut is leaning left
    upload_2023-1-31_20-18-38.png

vs full lock to the left where the strut is semi straightened up

upload_2023-1-31_20-19-42.png

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Strut orientation (‘angle’) will change with suspension loading and body roll, but should not change with steering angle alone, otherwise static load.

3. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I didn't think so they'd change angles at all especially with the front end in the air which is what the was in when I took the photos. Would you think other bushes in the lower control arm be allowing for that sort of movement?

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    More than bushing wear. More like a broken ball joint, tie rod end, etc.

5. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the mechanic came back and said the uni joints in the steering column is along the shaft of the intermediate joint. Apparently when you change it, it needs to be calibrated which I didn't know about because as long as you get the right spline when you put the intermediate shaft back, how would the car know?