1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut replacement question

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Brock, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am at 80k miles, I purchased the car at 60k. It is a year 2006
    My tires are dang near bald, and I havn't changed them yet because I was told ( and showed) when I had the oil changed that my struts were getting worn (he said it by no means are they the worst I've seen, but I would replace them when you get tires so they wear evenly). Anyway, my questions is. What are the cheapest struts to get (that are OK to use)? Also , is it really around 10 dollars a strut to have the old ones removed and new ones put on? Is there a website that sells all 4 together as a package? Also what tires would you recommend for all season?

Thanks

Rick68 likes this.
  2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might try a search in the gen 2 forums, lots of info about strut replacement and places to obtain, whomever quoted you should be avoided in the future, 10$ per strut, did they offer a piece of candy also?
    OEM's are KYB, as are aftermarket, Gabriel also makes one that fit's, KYB is my choice, total should be 6-8 hundred including labor, but then you need an alignment unless that's included.

3. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh 600-800 for struts, sounds like I'm just putting tires on this time, maybe at 100 or 125 I will get struts once they actually have no life in them
    so they really charge you like 500+ to install them?

4. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ijust had all 4 done in two separate visits to a dealer. Rear struts were $96.93 for parts, $168.72 for labor (each); front were $118.78 for parts, $170.86 for labor (each); 4-wheel alignment $79.75. Total parts: $431.42, total labor: $759.11. Total: $1190.53, plus tax for everything. Since the front & rear were done on 2 separate visits, I actually had 2 4-wheel alignments. (No, they didn't toss in the 2nd for free.)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A waste of money to pay for a "four wheel" alignment, whether it was done once or twice, since the rear axle is not adjustable. If you desire to be cost-conscious, one front wheel alignment performed when the front struts was replaced is all that is required. When front struts are removed, the camber adjustment is thrown off.

6. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So how do all these dealers get away with selling "4-wheel alignments"? Do I smell a class action opportunity?

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be sure that the struts are work out. The obvious signs would be that they are leaking hydraulic fluid out at the piston rod seals.

Internally, it would be worn out piston oil rings that would be worn out. Unless they are totally "blown away" and not there, strut performance is only degraded.

At 140K, most shops or dealers "see you coming" as "low hanging fruit" for a sale.

Worn out struts are not the only cause for tire wear.

I have had vechicles with over 200k and more. The struts are really worn out, when you either feel and hear a "clunk" when driving over a speed bump and the wheel bounces several times before returning to steady.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you receive a printout that shows before and after status of your wheel alignment?

If yes, did you notice there is no difference in the before/after status of the rear wheels, even if they are out of spec.

If the "after" status of the rear wheels shows that they remain out of spec, I suggest you call your dealer's service writer and ask how they can justify selling you a 4-wheel alignment when nothing was done to the rear.

HDuncan likes this.