1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut-Tower bar does work !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Azipod, Oct 3, 2010.

1. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yeah I read that. for those who still insist they work, their cars must be made out of plastic and not metal. thinking that driving at normal speeds can cause the thick metal to flex.

you can cure many things in life, but you can't cure stupidity.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an informative article from Cusco (who make really nice braces and strut tower bars to enhance chassis rigidity, especially for my Evo IX):

[ PR ] CUSCO

There is a video featuring a (awesome) Silvia S15 with a Cusco bar installed. Note that the bar ends are bolted on to main connecting bar.

Also take a look at the bracing configuration of these time attack cars gathered at Tsukuba (where the Cyber Evo CT230R holds the track record):
    http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/04/14/event-gt-gt-hyper-meeting-2009-pt2.aspx

3. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My placebo-affected-incurable-stupid mind tells me that I feel a difference in handling since I placed my bar. Should I believe it? Or listen to the other voices??

1 person likes this.
  4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You must listen to the voice that is telling you that what you are feeling is because of the money you spent on the bracing... nothing more.

5. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    First off, that is PR material. So they will "Sell" you on their product. No and if or buts about it.

Second point, do you realize how hard of a turn you must be entering to have your car bend/flex to the level of that car being jacked up?

So on a normal drive, do you think your car really lifts/bends that high in one corner??

With your stock suspension, your spring is pretty stiff as is, if you can enter a corner to have that spring and shock compress to the level of that car (S15) being jacked up like that then you are traveling at a might high speed.

Third point, their test driving was done on a road race course. Of course you can feel a difference is if you can unload your right foot 100% on the accelerator and brake pedal. You will need a lot of weight transfer to create that bend/flex.

Are you going to be doing a slalom test on the streets? Nope. Are you going to be entering a sweeper or hairpin turn at maximum velocity? Nope.

That points to my statement that during normal driving conditions, you can not feel any differences at all.

As for that Evo, look at it. I don't think it matters if it has or doesn't have a strut tower brace. His chassis is stitched welded and he has a full on race roll cage which adds great chassis rigidity.

Cyber Evo - Welded construction tower bar, look at the end of the bar. Same style TRD use on their strut tower bars. Stamped and welded metal.
    [​IMG]

6. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Believe no one. Do your own comprehensive testing. God gave you a brain. Use it. Give your car to a buddy one weekend, let him drive it. Remove bar, and let him drive it again. Or, leave bar on and said you removed and ask him for his opinion.

7. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    And for the chassis brace where the guy did a blind test on his wife...

Prius plate

1 person likes this.
  8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^Oh, wait. That was Darell?!? Lol, I know that guy. ;)

9. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Small world. lol.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well not really, I know him from PC haha. It's just funny I forgot that was him.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyways, I'm glad I did not splurge on the Tanabe strut bar yet. And even more glad I did not get a chassis brace. Just dun need em.

12. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you have the means to, then go for it. But all I was trying to state was that it would be the last option on my to do list since I'm not making what I use to make. I think the chassis braces are more effective then the strut tower braces.

But in all honesty, no one really drives their Prius to the point where it would make a difference anyhow. It's more like the... I have this this and this. I'm cool mod.

I'd rather spend the money on the JDM OEM lip kit and some springs or new suspension system.

13. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a rental Prius from Hertz the other day. After returning the rental, I went home and drove my own Prius. My Prius handles a lot better. My Prius has a strut-tower bar and the rental did not. I think it does work! :-D

14. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Yes it's sales material. But you're not going to convince me to remove the strut tower brace on my trackday Evo IX with your diatribes.

2. Yes, I get my Evo into tripod mode all the time (that is part of the fun of running on a racetrack).

3. No, I have never gotten my Evo into tripod mode on the street. The Prius stability control will intervene before letting the car into that kind of dynamic situation.

15. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Therefore my statement stands true. Track = difference. Street driving = no difference. All that equals the placebo effect.

And you will be surprised at the Prius traction/stability control. It really doesn't go on all that much when you are pushing it very very hard. I've tried it. The only time I have issues with it is on slow drives where I drive over some gravel/water with one tire. It kicks in and stays on for too long in my opinion.

16. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My friend, you missed the point. Technically your brain has already registered that the strut tower bar has been installed in your car. So you create a subconscious bias towards your car.

That Hertz vs your car would of worked if you brought in a third party where they do not know the modifications of either car. You tell them they are the same and ask which one feels better.

That way it's more scientific and accurate since the third party has no preference towards one vehicle vs the other.

17. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What tires do you have mounted on the Prius? My advans turn on the stability (not traction) control more often (of only because they have such monumental grip, when they let go it's a big deal). Canyon-carving type driving is where I am convinced that having chassis modifications will do real "street driving" good (unfortunately this is not something we can do in Chicago due to lack of terrain).

18. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Placeo-effect or not. My body and mind feel they work -- and they are on MY car and it makes ME happy. Enough said. :rockon:

19. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    All season Hankooks.

I drove my Prius with stock tires from Seattle to Canada before. While at it I managed to out run an Audi S4 on the mountain pass. Bone stock car. We were at it for over 30 minutes. We were bored. All came down to who had more car control.

For non track driving, the Prius can keep up with lots of cars out there in stock form. But only in the twisty sections, not the straight. Especially with cocky rich guys who can't really drive their M3 or Benz. I've crushed some egos with my Prius. Can't stand them for cutting me off when there is room everywhere else, trying to show off to their dates. Imagine the looks on their face afterwards.

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HAHAHA, nice bro!

Idiots underestimate Prius drivers. The Prius is also a good training car. If you can maneuver it like that, then once you get back into a sports car, then shoot...you can do anything.