1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut Tower Brace for 2010 Prius: CUSCO or Tanabe?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by btaylor, Aug 8, 2009.

1. btaylor

btaylor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've noticed that Sigma Automotive now lists strut tower braces from both CUSCO and Tanabe for the 2010 Prius.

Sigma Automotive: upgrades for 2010 Prius

I have to say that I'm fairly pleased with the handling on my 2010 Prius V---much better than what I experienced on Gen II rentals! But if one of these tower braces added additional improvements (e.g., a little less understeer) over the current handling, without introducing any clearance problems for routine maintenance procedures, I'd go for it.

Anyone installed either the CUSCO tower brace ($235) or the Tanabe tower brace ($189), yet? Any clearance problems? Is CUSCO known for better quality in this product area?

1 person likes this.
  2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up on the Tanabe braces. Good to see lower priced (compared to CUSCO Gen III and TOM's Gen II) braces available.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think that the BT Tech Strut Tower Brace that I installed on my Gen II Standard Prius turned that below average handling car into a fun car to drive.

3. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Boo:

I have seen this Strut Brace on Sigma Automotive and noticed this thread about how it can help make the car 'fun to drive'.

Could you please explain how it makes this happen? What exactly is it doing to the car and could it void warranty by putting this on the Prius? I am curious as to how a brace could make driving a car that much different.

Thanks in advance for replying.....

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have you seen the top of the strut towers? Where they are? I'm gonna pass on installing that. I had thought about fabbing my own - fugetaboutit! I'll turn slower.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Edward,

3 things bother me about the handling of the unmodified Gen II Standard Prius: (1) numb steering feel, (2) floaty suspension, and (3) way too much turn-in lean and body roll.

I feel that the strut tower brace significantly reduced the floatiness of the suspension and, most importantly to me, the amount of turn-in lean and body roll.

I don't quite understand how strut tower braces work. But Sigma Automotive had this to say about the Tanabe Strut Tower Bar (aka Brace):

"This Strut Tower Bar is arguably one of the least expensive upgrades that can provide a very high degree of benefit that is felt immediately after installing. Often, one of the 1st modifications performed on a vehicle, it improves handling & stability. By connecting this Strut Tower Bar and creating a balance, the shocks are prevented from independently moving & causing small changes in suspension geometry. If the chassis is bending, the suspension system is not being used to its full potential. This bar helps reduce chassis flex, allowing the dampers, springs & stabilizers to show their true ability...."

Regarding voiding of the warranty, in the US, the manufacturer has the burden of proving that a customer's modification caused the damage or need for the repair. Personally, I can't see how a strut tower brace would void any part of the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Congrats and good luck on your new Prius.

1 person likes this.
  6. evoxd

evoxd New Member

Model:
    III
    I have had a strut brace on all m previous cars. It will not void a warrenty. The strut will provide a bit more of a balance feeling through corners, a bit less body roll...

7. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    does the Chassis Stiffening Plate offer the car a big benefit? At $165, I hope it helps a lot!

8. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Boo, when you mentioned that the strut tower brace reduced the amount of turn-in lean and body roll was that based on normal or aggressive driving conditions?

If there was a noticable difference under normal driving conditions I'm getting one!:)

But then again, you were referring to the gen II right? I'm sure the chassis is much stiffer in gen III so may not realize as much an improvement.....

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, there is a noticeable reduction in turn-in lean and body roll under all conditions -- including when I take turns slowly. I am not an aggressive driver. What bugged me a lot about the Gen II Standard Prius was that even when taking turns slowly, the thing was like a boat. It reminded me of driving a 1970s' Cadillac or the first Dodge/Plymouth minivans.

Mine is a Gen II. But from what I've read about the Gen III, the Gen III's handling still leaves a lot to be desired (notwithstanding its wider 15" tires and apparent chassis stiffeners).

10. jm1515

jm1515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Back to the OP's questions.....anyone have any input/experience with these?

11. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

According to Tanabe USA (just got off the phone with them), they don't even make the Under Brace yet so I doubt they even have the Tower Braces. I am not sure what Sigma is purporting to sell.

12. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I doubt Sigma is trying anything dishonest - I've spent a while talking to the people there and they seem like pretty straight shooters to me. More likely just a misunderstanding about what is or isn't available yet.

13. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've also chatted with Sigma Automotive and found them to be honest and helpful.

When you spoke to Tanabe I'm guessing it was Tanabe USA and not Tanabe Japan. The underbracing,strut tower brace,etc. are all available but may not be compatible with US models.

Tanabe USA has to confirm fitment before releasing for US models.

Sigma Automotive sells worldwide so it's important to be very specific about your vehicle.

Take a look under suspensions of they're website and they state that the Gen III has several different factory supsension setups.:eek:

Just my 2 cents......

14. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    as of yet, tanabe USA does not have a strut tower brace. the JDM version of the brace does not fit on US cars, as there are differences under the hood between the 2010 US and 2010 Japan Priuses that create clearance issues when fitting the Japanese part on the US car.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  16. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if the G7 (e.g. ALL 2009 stiffening braces) fits the 2010?

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I HIGHLY doubt it. AFAIK, the stiffening plate on the Gen II is different than any of the stiffening braces on the Gen III/2010.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    deltron,

What's your source for this info? (Offhand, I doubt the info.)

19. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was the prius they used for the Tanabe R&D fitment tests a few days ago. they fit the 2010 Japanese Prius Tower strut brace on my car ( a US) and it didn't fit. apparently, there are some structural differences between the US/Japan 2010's. So to answer your question, my source is Tanabe USA.

If you're still in doubt, I'd say call up tanabe and ask em yourself.

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Now I have no doubt.