1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stubborn people

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jdjeep98, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

My reasons I bought a Prius.
    1. Price of gas.
    2. Cost of fixing my Jeep.
    3. Tax rebate.
    4. Better for the Environment.

All of this was still not enough, so I test drove one with my wife.

"What is this button?" she asked.
    "I don't know." I said.
    She pushed it
    "State voice command." it said.
    Both of us stunned she blurted out "Radio!"
    "Radio mode." it said.
    The Radio came on and wow was it clear, we started laughing.
    Not knowing anything about it I pressed the map button.
    A map appeared on the screen.
    Shocked I pressed the button.
    "State voice command."
    "Restaurant?"
    "Now displaying Restaurant icons"
    I pressed the button again.
    "Italian Restaurants?"
    "Now displaying Italian Restaurant Icons."
    She pressed one and a info button appeared on the screen.
    She pressed that and it had a phone number and address appeared.

I never gave the FOB back to the salesmen. It was sold on the spot. We were lambs for the slaughter.
    So does it make sense to buy a Prius knowing the hybrid parts will never pay for themselves? That depends, Will a non hybrid ever pay for themselves to justify their expense? I think not. So buy a striped down Yarus, or get a pretty cool Prius. It is your choice.

2. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

I wouldn't trade in my current vehicle, it's too fun.

3. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

That's why you have the ability to have multiple vehicles. I have a Prius, Corvette Z06, Sentra, Towncar, an a 240sx drag car (street).

4. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jun 20 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]274137[/snapback]</div>
    You overlooked Pontiac Aztek-top, er, bottom of the heap

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Frankly, if I hadn't totalled my 8 year old convertible with just a shade over 50,000 miles on it, I wouldn't have considered buying ANY new car even if the price of gas doubled. I'd have curtailed my 'long drives' (maybe 500 miles) from 4-6 times a year to 1 or 2. I LIKED my convertible, it was in good shape, got 25-30 MPG, and I don't drive many miles a year.

I'd been interested in the Prius for at least 4 years, but couldn't justify buying a different car, especially in the earlier part of that time period when I was unemployed. (When I started getting somewhere with finding a new job, I was willing to commute 50 miles each way, and fantasized about buying a Prius if I DID have a long commute). So now I'm working steadily 5 miles from home, and bought my Prius because I loved the car, not justifying the purchase based on gas prices.

So there can be some excellent reasons for a lot of people to say the price of gas wont sway them into buying a different car. Even if some of the 'reasons' are really a hope that the gas prices won't get THAT bad (after all, they got much higher after Hurrcane Katrina, but then got back under $2/gallon just a few months ago! And do ya remember the gas shortage of '72? '74? etc.) or just short-time thinking!

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roach52osu @ Jan 29 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]199994[/snapback]</div>
    Or, if you're driving 800 miles a week and your old vehicle was a 17.8mpg diesel pickup, you save $1500 every 4 months, or about $5k a year when you factor in those 15 quart oil changes + $20 filter at 5000 mile intervals.

Also, if you're driving very few miles per year, that means probably also very few miles per trip... In those conditions, you'll probably only be getting 45mpg with the prius. Get a civic..

7. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ Jun 20 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]274244[/snapback]</div>
    That one actually doesn't bother me as much. Yes, it looks kind of goofy, but it does remind me of the Prius enough that it's allowable.

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jun 20 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]274148[/snapback]</div>
    :( SOB! And I was counting on my leather seat upgrade to pay for itself in 6 months or less <pout>

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]274176[/snapback]</div>
    Niether would I.

And polls are bullshit. People can always make polls come out just the way they want. In that poll, how many of the people in quesiton need, want or can afford a new vehicle? 3 years ago, had prices been where they are now, I still wouldn't have bought a Prius.

Why you ask? I had a year left on my Jeep payments at the time and wasn't looking for a new vehicle. So, last year, when I WAS looking for a new vehicle, the Prius made sense.

The poll should have asked: "If you were to buy a new car, would you buy a more fuel efficient vehicle or buy a similiar vehicle to what you currently drive?".

10. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jun 22 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]274863[/snapback]</div>
    Everybody must think their Prius's look great.

I am finding out most people think my car looks ugly, so don't go knocking the cool looks of the Scion xA/xB!

Hey, my Prius is getting me from Point-A to Point-B reliably. I don't care how it looks. It could be painted Neon Orange with pink flowers on it for all I care (actually this might be preferable, so it's easier to find my car in a big parking lot).

Jimmy

P.S. Stock 2006 Prius with Silver Pina Mica with beige interior.

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With my previous car (a Saturn SC2) approaching 10 years in age and 180K on the odo, I needed a new car. Something non-compact, preferably a sedan.

My top choices were Accord, Camry and Mazda6. Then I discovered the Prius. I never looked back. Had I purchased a similarly equipped Accord, Camry or Mazda6, I would have paid a price which would be pretty similar to that which I paid for the fully-loaded Prius, and I would have been without the SKS and reverse camera options.

And I'd be paying more to fill up the tank at each refueling, getting lower mpgs, and spewing out more emissions than with the Prius. Oh, and I wouldn't get to use the carpool lane solo either (in CA) or have the versatility of a hatchback. No thanks! I'm quite pleased with my decision and hope to keep the Prius for a minimum of 10 years. :D

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 7 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]282726[/snapback]</div>
    I'll second that!

Went from a Mitsubishi Oulander (small SUV) to the Prius. Great thing was I got my company to pay for it, as the gas savings (I drive almost 3k miles a month) combined with a little raise, allowed me to convince them that this would be a good choice.

I couldn't be happier! Even though they pay the gas, I still stive for the highest MPG...(51-54 so far!). The carpool lane allows me to get home around 15-20 minutes faster and the hatchback is perfect for loading and unloading (I sell office supplies, and often have to make quick deliveries to customers).

Most people tell me that the car looks odd, but that it grows on them. Myself, I love how it looks, especially with the side moldings I added.

And...my kids (6 and 3) love watching the MFD!

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If it makes you feel any better, I was one of the ones who voted that I would not trade in my current car!

Maybe they are all Prius owners and didn't know what to trade in for!

Nate

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends what you traded to get the Prius. There are several people here who traded their midsize or larger SUVs but there are also several people who traded their compact cars for a Prius. Then there are those who came down from a luxury/sports car costing US$60k+ (All I can remember from that thread was Boxster, 7 series, GS, LS, Maserati Coupe, I think there might be an Audi person, I'm not sure).

15. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdjeep98 @ Jan 29 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]199826[/snapback]</div>

Nah...there are not stubborn. Just ignorant. Remember, half the people out there are below average. When gas hits $6/gallon they will look at you as being brillant for buying your Prius. B)

16. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I would say that above 90 per cent of the people I told about my Prius, said they wouldn't get one. They try to convince me that by time they pay for new car, they'd never catch up in gas.

My main reasons for buying Prius:

Environment.
    Tax Credit this year ( $3000?)
    Less Gas (our regular is now at $3.30 a gallon)
    IT'S a WAY COOL CAR!!

I just sold my 91 Camry, 4-cylinder for $1800...gets 20 mpg around town...so good town car and only 85,000 miles....This is our 5th Toyota...was going to get Camry Hybrid, but love the design of Prius and we need to load a wheel chair now...very easy with hatch.

terri

17. MechaJohn

MechaJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The good news is that looking at another question on the same poll, at least there are many people interested in getting a hybrid as their next vehicle.

I am still waiting for my Prius on order. I currently drive a 4Runner, and other than the gas mileage (14.5), I love it. It's been a reliable and comfortable vehicle. However, it's 11 years old and time for me to get a new car. I certainly don't expect to recoup my money with better mileage. The reason I decided on the Prius was for the environment and to help reduce our dependence on foriegn oil. I considered another SUV with better mileage, like Highlander or Escape, but we already have another SUV (Acura MDX - poor mileage, but ULEV-2 emissions). I decided to go to the extreme in fuel efficiency and low emissions. I like the Prius because it gives me that but with plenty of room (I'm 6' and 220lbs).

Also, I'm a Mechanical Engineer and Prius is just plain cool! B)

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a criteria for when the gas / diesel price is just right. It will be when 98% of Junior and Senior High School students are taking the yellow school bus to and from school and the "student" parking lots at most High Schools in the US have been torn up for practice fields and a few bike parking spots! When this happens the price of "gasoline" will be perfect.

19. StevL

StevL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe you can only consider a hybrid when it is your time for a new car. It doesn't make "cents" from an economic stand point to just buy a new car for fuel economy.

And some will never drive something that small. I drive a 2007 Tahoe, I made sure I bought the flex fuel version to help the environment. I tow trailers that weigh up to 7,000 pounds and I also need to store/carry large items. I simply have to pay the price to drive.

My wife just bought a 2006 Prius! We have only had it a couple days and it is exciting! We have no real opinions on the Prius just yet, but it seems like a very cool vehicle.

We have Mutt & Jeff in our driveway :blink:

My 2 cents...

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    since when does buying a new car ever make financial sense? yeesh. i don't know why this argument still takes place.

fact is there is no such thing as a free lunch. you want to drive, you pay for it. whether it's in car payments for a new car, gas payments for a guzzler or repair costs to keep your older car on the road. or all 3...

your automatic transmission does not pay for itself. your 17's and low profile tires don't pay for themselves. that sport package and leather seats... guess what? they don't pay for themselves either. why should a hybrid drivetrain be viewed any differently? why don't people have to justify buying any other car? i'm tired of it.

when hassled about that, i just ask the person how much their car cost and how much they've made back on it.