1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuck EGR Valve

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by John A, Jul 19, 2020.

1. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A couple weeks ago my 2010 prius started the shaking/rumbling and triggered a check engine light. Long story short cleaned out the egr cooler/pipe/air intake manifold. Thought i cleaned out the EGR valve. Now after driving and turn off the vehicle, sounds like a faint hissing/whistle coming from the air intake manifold. Also on a side note, the main engine shaking has stopped but occasionally when i accelerate slowly it feels like there is a studder/shudder or rumble like its out of sync. This is in eco mode maybe an inch to the right of the mid point. Any ideas would be helpful/appreciated.

2. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Vehicle has 217k miles, never had any issues, basic maintenance completed (oil change/ transmission fluid changed) until recently

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you replace the gaskets when you put back the egr circuit and manifold?

ZBrink and pjksr02 like this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could the sound be coming from your water pump?

What codes did you have, back when the trouble started, before you cleaned the EGR system?

The shuddering hopefully isn't due to a little head gasket leak. Has your coolant level been steady?

5. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    replaced the intake gasket. The original code was p301. i "attempted to clean the egr cooler, reset the codes, then it was p302, p301, and p304. Actually cleaned the EGR cooler correctly this time, reset the codes, and have yet to receive a new check engine light. When i first had the issue i noticed that my coolant level was extremely low. So i filled it back up, but due to taking apart the intake and cooler ive continued to have to fill it up alittle bit. keeping an eye on it now to see how much/ if any i am loosing.

Grit likes this.
  6. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_3547.jpeg IMG_3548.jpeg

Grit likes this.
  7. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Here is the noise i was talking about

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If your coolant level runs low again within days or week, get a leak down test. If the result comes back with lower than average pressure chances are you got a blown head gasket, then what ever you throw at it won't resolve the blown head gasket issue. Either save up for an engine replacement or another car.

9. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do leak down test cause more damage to the vehicle if it is broken?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't see it causing any problems. You're basically removing a sparkplug on a cylinder at top-dead-centre of the compression stroke, then applying air pressure, seeing if the cylinder will hold air. A special 2-gauge leak-down gauge set is used (which I'm not familiar with). The readings on the gauges give some clues, and you also just look to see where the air is leaking, if it is.

Still, considering the miles at which you cleaned everything, the dropping coolant, and the p301 code, it's pretty much a certainty you've got head gasket failure, cylinder one. The EGR passageways in the intake manifold (roughly 1/4" diameter, one per port) invariably clog up first at cylinder one first. The clogged port means no exhaust gas getting through to cylinder #1, and as a consequence it runs hotter. Cylinder #2 would not be far behind.

By 217 miles it would be near-completely clogged.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    jimontheocean, mjoo and Grit like this.
  11. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Mendel Leisk dont speak that evil into my life I don’t like to here what ive already been thinking! I’ll get the test and see what happens

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Mendel Leisk shouldnt some sort of light went off before a leak started?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From reports here, not necessarily. There is a code for insufficient EGR flow, but:

1. It seems to come on too late, when partial clogging has been going on for some time.

2. That "partial clogging" is often total clogging of one or two cylinders (typically 1 and 2 first), while clogging is still only partial on 3 and 4. The head gasket failures are occurring with dismal regularity at cylinder 1 and 2.

14. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like coolant is on the low side again, im going to get that test done tomorrow. If no check engine lights come on, is it still bad to drive the vehicle even with the coolant escaping somewhere?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a risk of hydrolock, how serious depends on the rate of coolant leakage into the cylinder. Basically if enough (uncompressible) coolant gets in a cylinder (I'd assume cylinder #1), the crankshaft will try to swing the piston up, unsuccessfully, and you'll bend a piston arm, maybe evem punch a hole in the block wall.

A non-driving alternative might be to get an endoscope, pull a plug and have a look see. Or someone who can come by with a portable compressor and leak-down gauge set.

OTOH you may be ok to drive still for a while, but it is a bit of a gamble.

FWIW, a lot of people with just failed head gasket do a full (used) engine swap anyway, because professional head gasket replacement alone can be pricey. If you're confident to DIY you're looking at somewhere between $100~800, depending on various factors.

With your miles I'd say get the full Toyota gasket kit (around $250, has the head gasket, plus pretty much every flexible seal/gasket in the engine. Also, for better safe-than-sorry, brand-new head bolts, a set would be around $100? Sending the head to a machine shop for complete rebuild (new seals on the valves, check all the valve seats) is maybe around $500??

I forget if you're burning a lot of oil. If you are maybe engine swap makes more sense. Or sell (with full disclosure) and move on. Lots of options.

Here's links to some Gasket Master videos. Not sure I like all their "table manners", and they gloss over some of the preperatory work, but interesing.

#15 Mendel Leisk, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Will using top tier gas help prevent EGR clogging problems?

iPhone ? Pro

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. I use nothing but Chevron, which I beIieve is Top Tier. Had modest but definite clogging starting at 70K kms when I did ours. I think the only thing that might prevent it is trading to 4th gen...

What rankles me is the language of the Toyota Warranty Enhancement Program bulletin we got, specifically:

While the majority of vehicles will not experience this condition,

And that's exactly how it appears in the document, italicized and underlined...

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used top tier on our old 2010 and it didn't prevent the clogging:(.

I did egr circuit intervals at 130k and around 175k and that seemed to be about right;).

Clean the circuit before you wished you cleaned it(y).

Grit likes this.
  19. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I stumbled upon this video in another one of your posts, got through 10 minutes and was like, I think I can do this, then 10-20 minutes started giving me a headache the engine was burning quite a bit of oil, after 5k I would put at least 2 more quarts in and then dee a change at 10k

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, you don’t know until it’s too late the worst part is, I’ve learned to take the cooler off and on fairly quickly now. Guess I’ll pay more attention to my next car. Still got 7 years out of this one

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.