1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuck in neutral after battery change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AmyBeth222, Oct 30, 2018.

1. AmyBeth222

AmyBeth222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi all, I'm looking after my friend's beautiful 2008 Prius while she's overseas. I had to change the battery (in the back) after it was completely flat last week, however since then it's been difficult to start. I am pressing the power button twice (seeing a dashboard of warning lights!), no hum of the engine, and can't move gear out of neutral. Switching off and trying again sometimes works, sometimes takes 5-10 minutes to get life! I'm not familiar enough with the Prius to troubleshoot this one, and YouTube videos seem to point at a reset needed after a battery change. Advice please?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

When starting (or button pressing), is your foot depressing the brake pedal at the same time?

If that doesn't help, you may need to try starting it multiple times. Foot on the brake, hold in the start button until the vehicle is 'ready'. Then repeat.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If this Prius has the SKS (Smart Key System) you should deactivate it, since this car is likely not being driven regularly (ie daily).

If you see a small black rubberish square on the front door handles and one near the Toyota trunk emblem, then this Prius has SKS.

upload_2018-10-30_17-4-43.png

05PreeUs likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you tested your new battery? Sometimes new ones are lemons.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why are you pressing the power button twice? Twice puts it in ignition not Ready.

Hold the brake pedal firmly and push the power button once.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, on older or high mileage cars especially, the brake pedal may need a FIRM press, not hard but not "foot resting on pedal" either.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another possibility is that you didn't tighten the battery terminals enough, or the negative to body connection is loose or corroded.

did you change the battery, or have someone else do it?

8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome, the prius has a funny learning curve, it's not funny that the 12v battery goes dead if you look at it with one eye closed, it's tiny and a simple mistake, like leaving the car in acc, or leaving an interior light on will kill the 12v.
    The new one needs to be fully charged, and you need a trickle charger to charge at two amps overnight, or leave the car in "ready" overnight. Ready is what it's in when you start it,
    Keep asking questions here, usually prii act nice.

James1964 likes this.