1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

stuck in the snow !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eng.Mohammad Eliwat, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Eng.Mohammad Eliwat

Eng.Mohammad Eliwat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Stuck in the snow !
    Hi yesterday I tried to drive my 08 prius in snow , its work good for certain km and unfortunately its stuck in the snow many time until it stuck completly !!
    I leave it and will bring it with four wheels car .

Really am shocked !!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am shocked that you think the Prius can serve as a Jeep.

If you need to drive the Prius in snow, I suggest that you have decent winter tires installed. Even with that, the traction control (which protects the transaxle from wheel spin) may result in occasions where the car will not make forward progress.

Good luck.

3. Travis Tortorige

Travis Tortorige New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah even in my driveway there are occasions with packed snow where the traction control will not allow any wheel movement. It's one of the more frustrating traction control systems I have experienced.

Try the easy tricks like putting your floor mats directly in front of and under your front tires, or bring a bag of kitty litter and spread some down, if the snow is packed.

If you live in Canada, for instance, where this will be a reoccurring problem, you may want to invest in foldable traction aids.

Don't listen to the other guy. (even though he has been helpful on my posts :) ) It's just a car and you can do whatever you want with it. Not every vehicle on the road is a Jeep after it snows.

Heck, here in CO we have bicycles that we ride in the snow!

Have fun out there and get stuck! It's all a learning experience.

On the other hand though, the braking on snow and ice is incredible with a Prius!

Eng.Mohammad Eliwat likes this.
  4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it snows a lot, and you need the Prius for transportation in the snow, look into tire cables for the front wheels.
    You will be restricted to 25 - 30 mph, but this should give you more traction in the snow.

DBCassidy

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What shocks me is how some people want to spin the wheels to get unstuck. Leaving a trail of slippery snow & ice behind from your tires isn't good for everyone else that follows. That's especially bad here, where it's often too cold for salt to work.

6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank goodness the Prius traction control is there to protect the HSD system. People who spin their tires in the snow / ice in a conventional drive vehicle do not do their tranny (auto) any favors. Overheating it will send them in need of a tow to the tranny repair shop.

DBCassidy

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if I am on ice which we have recently at stop signs on hills, i try to start real slow so I do not spin...not sure if that is right thing but that is my way. Also if possible avoid stop signs where you are going uphill on ice, or with great caution roll thru slowly if nobody is coming. Of course, good A/S tires for those areas like VA where snow is possible but no too bad.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If snow and/or cold temps are frequent in your area, consider getting separate snow tires, typically mounted on extra rims, often cheap steel rims.

Even then, if the snow is deeper than about 8", it will start pushing up on the underbody with some force. Somewhere between 8" and 11" you will be completely stuck, regardless of your tires.

9. Eng.Mohammad Eliwat

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks all For your reply

Now the weather is fine hope if it will not snow again this year :p

happy xmass For all :)

10. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I find the Pri to be a really nice snow car. I leave the 4wd parked over the winter.

Tires do make a big difference in winter performance. With the Hankook Optimo H727 (an all-season with really nice winter performance), the winter capabilities are pretty impressive. It also helps to moderate pedal pressure and try to keep the traction control system from engaging. With the good tires, though, the ABS and traction control very rarely even engage any more. Unless the snow is really deep, I prefer the Pri to the 4wd--it's much more maneuverable and sure-footed, and the defrosters work much better.

11. Eng.Mohammad Eliwat

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree with you
    But if the snow is too much " 10 CM " it will stuck
    My prius tire is 195,55,16

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    10 centimeters won't even brush the underside. 10 inches though, is getting into the danger zone: getting so the tires are barely touching down.