1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuck My Foot In It - REALLY Hard

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Had a car pull out in front of me. I mashed the brake so hard that I bent or deformed something in the mechanism.

So a guy pulls out in front of me after he misreads the intersection and thinks I'm going to turn right. I don't slow from my 50mph and have to slam on the brakes as hard and fast as I can. He takes up the front and left ways out, and the right side has the light pole. All I can do is push and pray.

I BARELY miss him. If there had been one more foot of front end on the C it would have merged with the target vehicle. But somehow I don't hit him.

The brake pedal goes back into battery and the only difference I feel is maybe a bit of sponge. But I'm worked up and try to remain calm. I get home, park, and go about my business.

The wife gets home after dark and tells me my brake lights are on. I go out to turn them off and I can't. I try everything I can think of. They don't go off. I figure the quickest way is to reset by taking off the 12v battery cable. That didn't work. I take off both and let them set. That didn't work. I get on the interweb and search. Nothing definite, but I'm reminded to check the brake light contact on the brake pedal. Bingo!

When I mashed the brake with all I had, I bent or smooshed something enough to where the little tab that's affixed to the brake pedal didn't come back to the brake switch any more...by about fat 1/4". As an expediant fix I rolled up a length of painter's tape until it was thick enough and taped it to the tab. Lights out, and on to bed. BTW, this can all be done after having been drinking scotch for about an hour and a half.

I get it to the shop today and it takes them about an hour to figure out they can't fix it. Then they get a Toyota expert later in the day who says he can't figure it out. They have to call a higher-up expert to take a look. They only have gross measuring tools and no blueprints, so they'll have to get somebody that has better tools and books.

Will keep updating as time rolls along. They gave me a loaner car...a BRAND new Jetta. Black. Leather. Nice. I don't see this coming to a conclusion any time soon. I figure they'll have to find what's bent/smooshed/out of whack, figure out a parts list, get them to our shop, and get them installed. On the other hand, this could be a RBD (really big deal.) Toyota/brakes. Not a good combo.

I'm 6'2", 240-ish, and exericise. But even Ah-nold in his hay day should not be able to bend braking components in any car you could choose. This appears to me to be a serious mis-figure on the parts of the designers. No telling how this will turn out. It just won't turn out quickly.

BTW, when I unhooked my battery I lost the TripB mpg average. It was at 54, then changed to 50. Dang, that was 6000 miles worth of average. Also, the mileage sucked compared to a normal drive to work. Down to about 34. Should have been 50+. Remembering something from the past about off/on cycles, I quickly did a cycle while stopped at a light. It seemed to help. The rest of the trip got me 60.4. No other issues though.

cwerdna likes this.
  2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you smashed the brake paddle so hard and bent it. As the mechanic to replace the brake paddle assembly.

3. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well at lest you did not break you break and break the front of the car :)

I would hope Toyota would make the break strong enough to prevent us from damaging it. I mean your bigger than an avg guy but your not some kind of freak giant or anything. That being said you, me, and most American guys are a lot bigger than a avg Japanese guy.

Good luck with your can man and keep us updated.

4. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The clutch pedal arm from my 08 Yaris was made out of plastic. It wouldn't surprise me at all that something got bent.

5. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The clutch pedal doesn't have much force placed on it. I can see where they might use a strong plastic.

The brake arm is stamped out of 1/4" plate. It looks plenty strong to me. I think it's the support structure, myself.

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Waiting with you to see how this gets resolved. Glad you avoided a collision.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You must have really put all of your weight on that pedal. I had a "panic stop" yesterday but did not have any issues with the pedal or the brake lights afterward.

8. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was truly a death-mash. I've been in some close calls, but this was =/> any for closeness.

RocMills likes this.
  9. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey, a brake pedal is a small price to pay for avoiding an accident. Well done sir.

carolD likes this.
  10. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great, another piece of C information I can't share with husband lest it add more fuel to his "it's not a *real* car" rants.

ztanos and Mr Incredible like this.
  11. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He right, it's not a real car, just like Superman is not a real man!!! :)

Maybe the brake pedal is like kryptonite!

RocMills likes this.
  12. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like it! I may just try that line of reasoning on him the next time he insults my car!

13. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think maybe I just bent the car. Maybe they'll give me a new one. One can hope.

minkus, Rob F Schmitz and ewxlt66 like this.
  14. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bent the car lol. You're like the hulk ;) scary story tho, happy to hear you didn't hit the guy that cut you off. Good luck sir..

RocMills likes this.
  15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not to break the Mr. Incredible fantasy but most likely the brake light switch is just stuck otherwise the brakes would actually be on.

16. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As usual, you put your keen intellect to the problem and come up wrong.

"...bent or smooshed something enough to where the little tab that's affixed to the brake pedal didn't come back to the brake switch..." I put in a spacer to make up the difference and the lights go out.

Your basic tools for any application appear to be sarcasm and condescention. Most people would think this simply rude. For you, I think it a character flaw. Go meditate on that for a couple of years and then don't come back to tell us how it went.

janda55803, cwerdna, RocMills and 2 others like this.
  17. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There you go, it was the switch and you didn't bend the brake pedal arm.

18. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    D.A., the entire pedal arm didn't return. "The brake pedal didn't return to the brake switch." The brake switch wasn't being reached. Was not being pushed on. Was taking a break. Feeling no pressure. Inactive. Not in use.

It worked when the spacer was placed between it and the tab. The...lights...went....offfffff. It wasn't the switch. Unless, that is, I pushed down on the the pedal arm and the switch support, which is attached to other structures, bent upward. Sure, that must be it...

If, somehow, you can see from where you are, since you obviously seem to feel you can, you would see it. If you broke into my car, turned yourself upside down and looked up into the brake pedal and arm area you would see it as I described and you misinterpreted.

Please, go be useless somewhere else.

19. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Wow, I was scratching my head for awhile here trying to understand Mr Incredible's last couple of posts and who he was arguing with. Something seemed missing - then finally the penny dropped.

Tip: If you happen to find any particular user's posts just aren't adding anything to your PriusChat experience, you have the choice to click their name, then click "Ignore" on the info sheet that comes up. Problem solved. Apart from occasionally wondering who people are arguing with. :rolleyes:

minkus, ztanos, cwerdna and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Received a call from the dealership. They agree that something has been bent.

They took off a pedal assembly from another C and placed it next to the one out of my car. They found the support structure that affixes the pedal pivot pin (and the brake arm attached to it) to the firewall was tweaked.

They said Mother Toyota was working closely with them on the issue, but that spare parts are difficult to get right now. It may take a few days to get the part or assembly they are replacing.

I asked it they were going to send me one of the immediately-redesigned and reenforced assemblies. "Ah, no. There there won't be one of those."

I asked it they were going to use the part from the donor vehicle on mine and put the replacement part onto the donor vehicle when it arrives. "Ah, no. I would if I could, though."

So, I drive a brand new Jetta for free for a few more days.

minkus, Tracy and cwerdna like this.