1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuck on a Snow Drift

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow! This hasn't happened before. We had about 20 inches of snow in the New York area yesterday. My 2007 Prius was parked on my driveway, but the wind direction was just right to blow a large drift against the car AND UNDERNEATH THE CAR!

I went ahead and dug out the sides and the wheels and still cut not get it out. Then I realized the snow underneath was holding it back. It was actually packed that tight.

But here's my concern. I could NOT get any power in reverse! I know the electric motor is the only means of propulsion in reverse, but there was no response to pressing on the accelerator. The car did rock slightly on the snow pack, but did not go anywhere.

Does the traction control prevent power to the wheels in reverse as well as forward? I never had this issue before.

Thanks! Marvinh

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand the gen2 Prius isn't too powerful in reverse. Apparantly owners in San Francisco have had problems trying to reverse up hill out of parking places. This issue has been addressed in the 2010 Prius (though obviously of no help to you).