1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Studdering misfire on startup after cleaning Battery cooling fan air filter

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusGoonie, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Green fluid may be a misnomer? My oil catch can “harvest” tends to be a brownish oleo of water, motor oil and maybe a bit of gas. Coolant is pink.

Tim Jones likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Likely: they saw misfire code for cyl 4, pressurized it to 16 psi (with engine rotated to achieve closed valves on that cyl), and overnight pressure dropped to 7. Not sure how unusual it is, that amount of pressure drop, maybe Google. It’s certainly behaving like head gasket failure.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pressure in a cylinder leaks down way faster than that; it's why leakdown testers have to be supplied by an air compressor, and they are really (when you get down to it) measuring flow rate. Whatever the mechanic meant must have been something else.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what I'm thinking now; an engine's cylinder is not a pressure tank, machined valves at the top, piston rings (each with a small gap), pressure will promptly settle back down to atmospheric.

Service writer boxing above his weight?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unless it is the wrong coolant.

PriusGoonie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. PriusGoonie

PriusGoonie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The one I'm looking at is 20 hours, that's the insane one. Doesn't take 20 hours does it it takes less than 10 hours right

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    IDK the book time, but the labor rate makes book time irrelevant.

PriusGoonie likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To lazy to reread all the posts but what made you replace the head gasket to begin with? Most fail from over heated engine.

Compression test is just a few cycles of crank. All cylinders should be close.
    If not doesn’t matter why cause the head has to come off to find out why.

If coolant in the intake something went very wrong with the repair. Difficultlittle engine to rebuild. At the least it would require the factory manual and possibly some SST tools.
    You can print the manual off TIS site one day subscription. Engine rebuild section is very large printout but required IMHO.

9. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    More than a couppe, a savings of $3,000. They quoted me $2,100, they clean out EGR's and measure the piston heights to make sure, best of all the inspection is free. Just got to drop off the girlfriend at a doctor, take her to work in sf, somehow manage to get the AAA driver over. Thought about hitching a ride with AAA to Manteca to Gasket Masters, but they said *maybe* today, friday's tomorrow, I don't want to leave it at the dealer till monday they'll probably charge a fee. Trying to figure out a way to save a towing, can't get around needing to drive there separately.

So I asked if they do H6 Subarus, they don't. Too odd of a car, two gaskets on side of engine. Been riding it for around 120k miles with just Blue Devil, but low compression is greatly starving her. You guys know another place that could look at a 6 cylinder subie? It's my emergency car. Actually it wasn't starting for a few months, kept hearing a spinning sound no click, stabbed it with the screw driver, nothing. It was usually the key needing to be pressed up in the ignition then go, then it was hot days it didn't turn over, then not at all any day.

So decided last night to look at relays, sure enough under the dash 4-5 relays I just wiggled them all about 5 times twice around and she started with the key.

#29 PriusGoonie, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  10. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On its way for a makeover

Attached Files:

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If they quoted you a head gasket job, I would get a rebuild for a thousand more. The pistons and rings are defective in 2010 - mid 2014. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I think Toyota and Subaru were co-conspirators in the low tension rings fiasco. Subaru was blowing head gaskets before it was fashionable in a Prius gen3.

#31 rjparker, Oct 6, 2022
    PriusGoonie likes this.
  12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Axis of Blown Head Gaskets!

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody confused cylinder leak-down test with cooling system leak test.

14. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good heads up yeah they just mentioned they use the HS26515-PT head gasket set that includes the rings, it's also $1800 more for them to put in a rebuilt engine of their own if they have one laying around.

What they'd do with my old one who knows, is that included in the price as kind of a core charge kind of deal.

It used to be a Lyft car for 100k miles or so I believe maybe the full 145k so no telling, and the cylinder 4 was banging around for a good 20 seconds or less without driving, who knows what that did to the piston.

They'll check it out, see if I even need a rebuilt. These guys are cool they remind me of my older cousins, straight to the point no beating around the bush.

Also asked about if the 2016+ engines can go in to avoid the older years, answer is no they don't fit unless you do a lot of edits to hoses and engine bay, so that idea is out the window.

Also read somewhere you should be changing the trans fluid every 60k miles, that the transmissions last between 100-200k, so that should be my next adventure, as I've driven it for just under 30k miles. Should go look up the carfax on this, maybe a transmission change would show up, or I'll call up Toyota see if they know.

They also said yeah no, the cooling fan intake cleaning shouldn't have messed up the voltage/inverter across to the 12v battery like I was thinking, total coincidence.

Real rare gem these guys, can't tell you how many years I've been looking for actual truthful professionals. Be great if they would replace whatever else for their videos but I'm not counting on it.

Don't read further if you're bored so far:

It also probably needs struts soon, and rear axle that's quite off, needs adjustment shims and that only gets it to just razor thin out of spec, both rear rims and rear right bearing potentially you hear a slight humming when it lifts off the ground on the freeway.

Had shaking a lot till I got a good set of Touranza tires replacing the horrible Primewell All-Seasons Firestone stopped selling, I really wonder why, 99% of the shaking went away. The hole in the wall place I was taking it to for years screwed up the balancing on both of my cars, another place Joes Tires found they were off 3.5 oz off rear, 2.5 off front for all wheels, hence probably wanting the rear rims replaced it has so much more weight and go figure a bent axle which is one piece.

Just before the tires replacement I got myself 4 of these Spring Buffers by RubberShox off Amazon, adds dampening turning control and ride height. Must say they took quite a lot of impact, smoother. Thought that was the issue with shaking then I stupidly turned into Hulk and ripped them out, totally murdered them taking them out.

But the next edit will be installing this 12 mil 3M/Vivvid clear security window vinyl on the inside of the windows. You can slam a sledge hammer or sharp end of a crow bar at it, sometimes even bullets and it'll stop it. Just the side windows you need 2.5 feet high by 10 feet long, front and rear windshields you need 3.5 feet high by 10 feet long I believe. Lots of crime around here just read into Oakland articles. Next will be finding the thicker 21 mil ballistics vinyl for the doors, maybe windows too. That right now sets someone back a few grand, I believe $2,000 - $3,000, then maybe in a year I'm going to tackle installing these two paper thin solar panels on top, extra instrumentation in the trunk and she'll maybe get around 100 mpg with two panels I read, the kit is around $600 I think for just the panels each.

Trying to also find a comparable strut like I found this random audio company created a set of struts that has some kind of resonance cancellation against the road, nothing better than that other than the struts they use on modern luxury cadillacs.

Maybe in due time I hate the roads around here but I'm f*cking serious.

I would get an suv but the mileage suffers.

I would get a tank but, you know spaces around here aren't that large

Ufo.. idk, too many cameras, pentagon up my a$$, I'll pass

#34 PriusGoonie, Oct 6, 2022
  15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like they will take care of you. The rebuild price seems higher than I have heard about recently but it could be comparing apples to oranges. The transaxles are different in a v, both final gear ratio and the v tran has extra cooling. I would not change it and we rarely hear about issues with the tranny.

PriusGoonie likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you could ask them, do they do EGR cleaning (including intake manifold) as a service, fairly regularly, what they’d charge. If they do, please post here:

Professional EGR Cleaning Resources | PriusChat

include location too, just city is close enough.

PriusGoonie likes this.
  17. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes they do EGR cleaning part of the package included in the 2.1k (after tax) among other things I can't remember. It's at the Manteca location. I'll ask them again Monday probably their list and try to update there

#37 PriusGoonie, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. PriusGoonie

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I've had this question for years since I heard there was a repair time book, what's the name of the book, repair time book? Manufacturer's book times? Warranty time, Bureau of automotive repair? Trying to get myself a good copy or two for reference, I'm guessing make and model specific.

The most reliable at least

#38 PriusGoonie, Oct 7, 2022
  19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In this case, book time is what Toyota thinks it takes and is what the dealers usually get for warranty work. However warranty work paid by Toyota is at a lower hourly rate than you would pay. In most cases the dealer mechanics are paid by book time but at their much lower mechanic's rate. So if the mechanic can do a 4 hour job in 3 hours, he is often paid for four hours. If a repair comes back, the dealer mechanic fixes it at his expense.

Independent mechanics that are good will do the job faster than book time and often charge you less per hour.

#39 rjparker, Oct 7, 2022
    Air_Boss likes this.
  20. slow_wagon

slow_wagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My $0.02 for wrench...
    I think you can rule out the coils being an issue. In my experience, they don't go bad intermittently. And they don't all go bad at once. You would have a code for a misfire on a particular cylinder.

Assuming you aren't using any noticeable amount of coolant? When you did the head gasket, did you get the head pressure tested/machined? It's possible there is a small crack which occasionally lets some coolant in and causes the misfire. I think I would do a leakdown test (easier to do on the prius than a compression test) and see if you have any variance between cylinders. Assuming that the leakdown test doesn't reveal anything I would just send it. Wait until the problem gets worse or more frequent, will make it easier to diagnose. If you can't even feel the misfire, I wouldn't think it would be damaging anything.

Mendel Leisk likes this.