1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Study: Do people with luxury cars drive differently?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 13, 2013.

1. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

you mean.....driving way too slow?

2. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't SoCal the same corner of the world where profiling is the biggest sin on God's green earth? I'll tell you what's funny. These "professional writers" will spend days writing a piece bashing a BMW, Porsche, or Jaguar owner, but they believe they wouldn't be tempted to drive fast if they ever were able to afford one. These 'critics' are just the college students who flunked out of math and decided they had an aptitude for English so they could just party every night.

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving too slow in the HOV lane used to be one of the biggest complaints about prius drivers in california. Rolling through stops is another.

The study was done by phd student researchers at University of California Berkeley. It was about wealth privalage and charity. The study did not attempt to look at speeding, but behavior at 4 way stops and cross walks. The BMW and prius drivers were not called out for going fast. They were called out for cheating (not waiting there turn at a 4 way stop, not stopping to allow a pedestrian to use a crosswalk.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If by "driving to slow" you mean "abiding by the posted speed limits", that's what keeps me out of HOV lanes. I prefer far right lane, maybe (well) behind a truck.

It's sad but true: HOV lanes are largely taken over by speed freaks in my area. Many are leftmost, and there have been some tragic pile ups, largely due to the mix of mind sets using them.

TheEnglishman likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    By driving slow, I mean driving in the left lane (HOV) at speeds that impedes the flow of traffic. In my state and many others that is illegal, but not ticketed. In other states it is legal, but can lead to accidents and road rage. You are doing absolutely the right thing being in the right lane if you are going slower than the speed of traffic. Someone trying to enforce the speed limit from the left lane is doing a wrong and dangerous thing, and often leads to blocks to emergency vehicles, My state after lane blockers made it impossible to go left to get over from police or ambulance in the right lane, changed the laws.

Yes, the way many US states and canadian provinces define HOV lanes actually impedes the flow of traffic and leads to more accidents. There has been much research by various DOTs (department of transportation).

6. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What if we built special hybrid-only highways like rollercoasters so people can just glide to work?