1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuff I don't like about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catfromtex, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I'm not super fond of having something to so completely separate the driver and front passenger's seats. My girlfriend's wandering hand doesn't have quite the same reach now, you know.... ;)

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My only complaints are the following: 1) The seats could use more padding-a little uncomfortable on my back. 2) I would have loved a power driver's seat. 3) The stock radio/cd player is underpowered.

I want to add that I am very happy with the car. I would not take it back to the dealer. When I am ready to replace my 2003 Accord-V-6, EX I will be leaning heavily towards another Prius if this one is a trouble free performer.

3. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you a teenager? You sound like a happy couple.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jennifer, Do you allow couples that have a black Prius in your forum or just chicks?

5. sweden prius

sweden prius New Member

I think it is hard to see the stearing wheel buttons at dusk or in the dark. If I want to call someone or adjust anything I really need to switch the map light on, which is kind of weird.

Anyone knows hot to increase the ledlights?

6. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't believe it is possible to change the lighting on the steering wheel.

I have learned which buttons are which by the different feel of the buttons. I no longer need to look at the buttons on the steering wheel.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a discussion floating around recently about dealing with
    the steering wheel button illumination. BT Tech was thinking about
    developing a kit to deal with it, but it would still involve taking
    the steering wheel fairly far apart [and working around the air-bag
    squib] to get at the right parts. Probably fixable, but not in
    any simple way.
    _H*

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

Hi Springtime,

I also have a 2005 Prius and a Tercel (1995) I still have the Tercel. It has 150,000 miles so I guess it is broken in. I like both cars. If the Prius is as good as the Tercel has been over 11 years, I will be very happy. I'm aiming for 200,000 miles.
    Do you still have the Tercel?

9. idaten

idaten New Member

Owner for 1 month and 1 day - love my Prius (06 SPM #8), but the voice recognition system is beyond my ken. I try to go to Mt View - it heads for Cotati. I'm looking for Clayton Ave, it prefers West A St. I want to go home, but nope, it wants to go to Salmon Fork. I may give up and just visit Salmon Fork one of these days...

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Catfromtex, I have 84000 miles driving in the classic Prius and only about 10 in the new model, so I am in the minority here. The best way to realize the difference between models is to get a long drive in each, of course. But I feel that the classic Prius is adequate (not quite as quick) in the power department, and a bit better handling.

W/o a doubt there is better engine noise reduction in the new model, but that can be made up with some DIY work. The available space in the new model is a clear advantage. As is a locakable trunk in the classic. You have read here that people have ganerally adapted themselves to any visibility problems in the new model. The thing I wish for most often, is the few extra mpg that I would be getting.

Where are you so we can assist in getting some time behind the wheel. Are you actually considering a used classic Prius?

11. catfromtex

catfromtex New Member

I am really considering a classic Prius. I really like its design (no blind spots, normal steering wheel) much better. My only stopping point there is the power issue. I've been driving a 1995 Pontiac Sunfire for the past couple of years. It's got double the horsepower of the old Prius (and still more than the new Prius) and handles really well (I have to drive 20 miles through a really windy canyon to work each day, so handling is an issue). I drive about 400 miles a week (freeway and canyon mixed), so having something with on-ramp issues or that does not corner well will drive me nuts.

By the way, did I misunderstand you, or do you think Classic Prius handles better?

I am going to go back and test drive the new Prius again. The local Toyota dealer is listed as a Toyota rental location, so I am considering tring to rent a new style Prius for a week to see if I can get used to it (then I don't have to worry about the horsepower issues).

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

what is a normal steering wheel?

13. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

The big big advantage of the 04 and up is the hatchback.... it's amazing how much travel stuff you can pack in it, and easy access to it is equally important.

Also the back seat has tons of leg room ... the car is quite deceiving of how big it is on the inside.

The other big advantage this car has in general... the awesome turning radius... it makes driving much easier... making a U turn on a narrow street in one pass is ... well priceless :)

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Found it yesterday while out at lunch and adjusted it to my liking. Thanks anyhow! :) Still need to finish RTFM...

15. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had the new Prius for a few weeks now. It is definitely feeling more familiar to us and we are liking it a lot more. There was so much that was different at first, that we were overwhelmed. Now that things like smart-key, MFD and and climate control settings are more familiar and set to our liking, it's much more enjoyable to drive. The steering wheel is adjustable if that helps.

However, you are right on about the rear blind spot and there is nothing one can to about it other than try to mitigate a bad design. When one has to merge with traffic at a Y intersection on the right-side, it really hits you. Side mirrors don't help at all in this situation. We've actually changed our driving route to lessen this problem.

It will be great if Toyota is listening and changes the hatchback in the next generation Prius to a sleek wagon design that has great rear visibility.

16. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So long as at least 1/2 of the couple qualifies as a 'chick' then that is completely allowed. ;)

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

me too. had a closer-than-i-liked call with a pedestrian behind my a-pillar once, now i'm always freaked about areas where people are walking.

18. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're so right! This car could turn on a dime. It's even better than my 2003 Accord.

19. catfromtex

catfromtex New Member

Larger in diameter. Further out from the dashboard.

(OK - normal is a relative term :rolleyes: )

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, My wife is is most definately a female.