1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuff I don't like about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catfromtex, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ;) Glad to hear it! She's welcome to the black Priuses club for chicks.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius's turning radius is excellent! I demonstrated to my boss in the work parking lot (he told me to do 'donuts' so I did some in slow-motion to demonstrate) and for my mom out in front of her house. Helps me do u-turns more often, without resorting to the more time-consuming 3-point-turns on narrower roads.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Em, I thought that the classic didn't have the split rear window, but the lower part was metal. Wouldn't that decrease the viewing area in the back?

4. slortz

slortz New Member

Yes, I think the new Prius has an overall wider range of view from top to bottom out of the back of the car than most cars. However, because the spoiler/brake light assembly goes across the window, people get the feeling like their vision is being overly obstructed. There really is not much real high value viewing area added, in my opinion, if the spoiler/brake light assembly was not there.
    People might not have a complaint at all if the small bottom window didn't exist because the sensation of an obstructed view would not be there.

5. catfromtex

catfromtex New Member

The blind spot that throws me off is the two 'pillars' that go vertically up the back of the car (on either side of the window). The back window's design on the old model does not have this. The window is shorter, but it is wider, allowing for better viewing (for me, anyway) in the back corners of the car (but less of objects closer to the ground in the back, I guess?).

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's only part of the problem. The thick rear A pillars are the big issue. They're a major rear diagonal view blocker. I get in my pickup and it's like being in a greenhouse.

7. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Going back to topic, have you guys driven with the rear windows down? I was at a downhill stretch, and the car was making this very low frequency noise that I "feel" it in my ears instead of hearing it. I swear I would have loved the noisy sound of tires on the highway compared to that.

Considering my great appreciation for this car, that is one of the things I don't like about the Prius. Also...

A-Pillar blocks pedestrians
    No height adjustment for the driver's seat (my wife hates this).
    I can't override the Nav Lock-out (2006)

There might be more, but considerably less than what I like about the car.

8. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Many cars have this "problem"

9. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Like a sub-woofer on steroids? I just normally hear wind, or on a really fast vehicle wind howling, but this one was different. I've owned a Chevy wagon, Explorer, and a Camry and haven't experienced this on those vehicles.

10. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having owned a Black Prius pkg#3 2006 (Black Beauty) for about 3 weeks now, I can say that i really love driving this car. The seat is great. In my older Honda Accord, my wife had to put a cushion in order to feel comfortable while driving it (she is tiny), but in the Prius, she does not feel the need for a cushion. Overall viewing is great.

I have one small complaint though, and that is about the music system (mp3-enabled system in the 2006). While i have been able to play all kinds of CD-Rs and CD-RWs with ease, i dislike the fact that there is no graphic equalizer. All that one can adjust is the bass and the treble. Well, while that works for most music, sometimes i wish i had the preset settings that i used to have on my older mp3 stereo system.

I have not been able to cross 45MPG in terms of mileage yet, but then i guess considering that the temperatures outside have been in the 10s and 20s, it would be difficult anyways. Overall, i really love every bit of the performance and features this car delivers.

My other complaint is that my wife gets to drive it more than i do B) . I only drive on long distance trips, while my wife drives during the commute from home to work (we both work at the same place).

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed this buffeting on every car I've driven. It's worst at highway speeds when only one window is down, but always there. Now that I have a car with air conditioning, I leave the windows up and no problem. :)

12. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This topic comes up on CarTalk every few months. They explain it's because many new cars are so aerodynamic that opening the windows actually makes them less so, by disrupting the airflow across the car's surface. I've heard this sound in a few newer cars. It can be really loud and annoying, so I just try to find a combo of window openings that lessens the effect. Or I just run with the ventilation system on.

13. ostrich

ostrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's odd. I haven't been bothered by blind spots, and according to Consumer Reports

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/sa...easurements.htm

the Prius has the smallest blindspot (7') of any "family sedan" for a driver 5'8", and second-smallest (14') for a driver 5'1".

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

me neither. It seems to me like I have less blind spots in my Prius than my previous car. I also don't know what pillars people are talking about

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

steering wheel seems normal to me

16. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Consumer reports sucks...

I think people here are talking about blind spots from other cars passing etc...

But its nice to know you are less likely to run over a kid backing up with a prius.

17. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our compact Volvo wagon does this when the sunroof is opened too wide at speed. The default 'one touch open' position is actually about 3 or 4 inches short of full open to alleviate the thrumming.

18. catfromtex

catfromtex New Member

That's odd. I haven't been bothered by blind spots, and according to Consumer Reports

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/sa...easurements.htm

the Prius has the smallest blindspot (7') of any "family sedan" for a driver 5'8", and second-smallest (14') for a driver 5'1".

I spend more time driving on the freeway - passing/merging/changing lanes -with people all around me than I do potentially backing over children. So I'm more focused on the "other car" blindspots than the "3 year old hanging out by your license plate" blindspot.

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

The only things that bother me, but only at certain times are:

1. lack of temp gauge - I've gotten used to not having it but sure would love to know if a problem is immiment.

2. The plastic on the dash and doors - very susceptible to staining...

everything else is a dream, so I have long gotten over these issues :)

20. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

06 moved away from the painted trim.