1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuff I don't like about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catfromtex, Feb 14, 2006.

1. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't like where the power outlet is on the passenger side. The cell phone charger tends to get stepped on by passengers. I think it would have been better in the middle of console or ever on the driver's side, or in the glove box, or two in the console.

Also, I wish I didn't have to feather the gas pedal as much accelerating from a traffic light. I need to go so slow to stay in electric mode that I end up backing up traffic and getting tailgated at which point I just accelerate to the normal flow of traffic.

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

there isn't one in the middle console on '06?

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just drive it as if it were a normal car while you're in traffic, and try the feathering technique when there aren't cars behind you wanting you to go faster. That's what I do. And if I'm not in a hurry to my destination I'll take the lesser-travelled surface streets so I can take my time and enjoy getting high mpgs thru feathering and slower accelleration.

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what I'm doing now! Thanks.

5. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

I have tried to think of something that I don't like about my Prius and really can't come up with anything. It is the nicest car I have owned by far. 5'11" and haven't noticed any more of a blind spot than any other car I drive. I like the dash. I like the layout. Speedometer is easy to read. As many have said...power seats would be great and the sound system could be better. I plan to replace the front and back speakers this summer.

Two things my co-workers have been impressed with: 1) the roominess (they all thought hybrids were matchboxes) and 2) the subtleness of the engine starting and stopping.....they didn't expect it to be so seamless. :)

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :) No prob! You can also do a pulse and glide thing sometimes in traffic on non-highways without worry of causing a backup of cars behind you. Accelerate moderately to the speed limit (35, 45, 50) or the speed you would like to go if you often travel over the limit, take your foot off the gas for ~1 second, then gently apply a very light pressure to the pedal. You will be able to maintain your speed with a high mpg reading on the energy screen. Takes some practice, but it's fun practicing and perfecting. And you won't have people in dino-cars behind you cursing you for taking 1/2 mile or more to even reach the posted speed limit. ;)

7. catfromtex

catfromtex New Member

Bless you for coming up with that! I really like hearing those little tricks that help your mileage while still being considerate of the drivers around you.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

OK, I just chackedmy steering wheel and my '05 does not have a texture like that. It's more like the dash texture

9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That is in fact the way side mirrors should be adjusted - you should not be able to see your own car in the side mirrors. Unfortunately, most people adjust them like this, but really, why should they? It is not your car that you should be looking out for...

Also, I don't really understand the relevance of height to blindspot. :huh:

When I first started driving, I was taught to adjust my mirrors to see the edge my car, so that is what I did. About 5 years ago, I read somewhere on the net that suggested moving them further out, and have not gone back since.

The trick to setting the mirrors correctly is to move the mirror out just far enough that your car disappears from view. If you lean just a few inches to the left or right, then your car should again become visible in the edge of the mirror to which you are leaning toward.

Adjusted in this way, you should fully see the left/right lane beside you, rather than what's directly behind you. Seeing what is going on directly behind is the job of the center rear view mirror. Of course, the side benefit of adjusting them like this is that you don't get the headlights of cars behind you shining through your side mirrors at night... B)

The end result is that the blind spots on my Integra are almost non-existant; although it is always best to still do a shoulder glance when changing lanes.

I wonder if the people who complain about blind spots actually don't have their mirrors adjusted properly?

Just my $0.02...

Kevin

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is what I do.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...ovember/07.html

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the 'disappearing' front end of an auto is worrysome try this trick. Obviously when you pull into a place you have to see if there is a hydrant or pillar in your space but if no... then just line up your outside mirror with the vehicle next to you.
    :D Unless the one next to you has NO front end you will be lined up front and back.

12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The size thing with the Prius makes me feel like I am in a Fun House sometimes. The ever-expanding room, it looks small from the outside but once in you are shocked by the space.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :huh: :eek:

:lol:

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Maggie, isn't that poor penquin getting a really bad sore spot on the bad of its head yet?

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can put the small 1 X 2 inch rectangular mirrors (found mine at Bimart) on the inside bottom corner and adjust the big mirrors as you say.. but even a bit more outward and you can still see the sides of the car in the small mirrors to maintain that sense of orientation as well as see even farther to the outside.

Set this way, the big mirrors see the area thats most important and the little ones give orientation to the extreme in and out.

Many people do just the opposite. They adjust their big mirrors to see a large portion of the side of the car, and try to use thier little mirrors to see everything else.... much more dangerous IMHO. Especially in a pinch split second decision.

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

would you like to take turns with the penguin?

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yep... that's exactly it. Works like a charm. I shake my head whenever I drive one either of my parents' cars... half of each mirror seems consumed with the side of the car... :mellow:

On the other hand though, I'll have a tough time talking my father into changing his ways after ~ 43 years of driving... <_<

Kevin

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Personally, I've never really been a believer in those small adhesive convex mirrors, but I know people who swear by them, so to each their own...

I also wonder that if they are so great, how come manufacturers do not incorporate them as standard equipment? I've never had problems with the standard mirrors, so I never bothered to buy the convex ones.

Now getting back onto the topic of the thread, I can't really say what I don't like about the car, since I do not own one yet. In fact, I am planning to go to the car show here in Toronto on Monday, and hope to sit in one for the first time... :rolleyes:

As is everyone else around here, I am extremely eager to get one of my own, but my plan is to drive my current car as long as possible (1 more year?) to save up as much money as possible, to bring the monthly payments to within reason... :blink:

Being a "techie" type with a daily 40-mile commute (each way) across the 401 highway in Toronto - the busiest highway in North America - and high Canadian gas prices, the Prius is the dream car for me! ;)

Kevin

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took delivery of an '06 package 1 a week ago. Things I do not like are:

Glare from Silvery Vent in line of sight with Left mirror.

A little wobbly in the wind - I m back with the average cars on windy days,
    versus being king of the road in the SL2 (gusty 25 MPH cross winds at 75
    were no-problem). Could use a fin in the front to move the Center of
    Pressure forward, but this would be a real "geek" feature.

The small amount of accellerator that will force the engine on when cruising
    on a 35 MPH road. Would like some more accel in electric mode. Think
    the car has the capability, but the accel pedal action wont let it. Traffic is
    up and down +/- 2 or 3 MPH, and cannot keep up with it without engine
    switching on and off allot. Constant engine on/off in these traffic
    situations probably not a good thing. Electric accel/regen would be better.

SUV drivers cannot see the small cars in front of me, and tail gate when
    there is a small slow moving car (even RED small slow moving cars!) in
    front of me. In the SL2 I could move right, and they could see the small
    car tail light. But in the SL2 it was only cars behind that might not see a
    small car in front.

Lack of aural feedback of speed - I am getting used to ignoring engine noise
    as an indication of speed slowly. Would be nice to have a variable
    frequency tonal speedometer.

Comments on other things people have a problem with:

The split rear window I actually like. Not sure why people do not like this.
    Helps block headlights.

A pilar is easy to get used to. Just have to move your head left and right
    from time to time when there is a car tail-light behind it.

Blind spots are non-existant with the "Car Talk" mirror method.

20. Anders

Anders New Member

There's a "power" outlet and an audio-in port inside the console between the front driver and passenger seats.

I had a 2005 Salsa Pearl, and now have a 2006 Barcelona Red. The difference between the two is more the small things. I like the 2006 textured surface over the previous smooth finish. The LCD display graphics are "antialiased" in the new version, and just seem more polished.

Stuff I don't like:
    * The backup beep, which I have now disabled.
    * The seatbelt beeps, which I haven't disabled yet.
    * The "I agree" map questionnaire. But that is a much more minor thing.

My only other annoyance is the gas tank bladder getting persnickity. Occasionally it will confuse the gas pump, so that the autostop on the pump kicks in after only putting in 2 gallons, and preventing me from filling the tank to a normal level.