1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuff I don't like about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catfromtex, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Read the thread. Our rear blind spot complaints can't be solved with smoke or mirrors (or backup cams). When one is merging at a Y intersection, where one needs to check oncoming traffic, the rear A pillar, combined with the peak-a-boo out of the rear hatch, are blocking the view. Same thing in a parking lot sometimes.

Both my wife (at 5'2" and me at 5'9") are experiencing this daily at 3 intersections. It's bad enough that we are now avoiding the worst intersection and taking an alternate (though more inefficient & gas expensive) route.

2. sprett

sprett New Member

I think I have been reading through all the posts in this huge discussion and i´m amazed that no one has complained about the strange feeling of the "gearless" transmission. The lack of connection between RPM and speed feels weird!

But, what do I know? I don´t even own a Prius and since my dealer screwed up my order bigtim I kind of losing faith in ever gettin one....

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

it doesn't feel strange to me at all.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I am not trying to discredit your claim or anyone else's about blindspots, I am just trying to understand the "environment" and possibly suggest solutions to minimize the effect.

The key point is that some people complain of bad blind spots with this car while others say there are none at all, or at least no worse that any other car. Could this opinion maybe just be significantly influenced based on different prior vehicles?

Kevin

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I would say so

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one of the BEST features of the Prius. I enjoy not feeling the gearshifts and knowing why it's happening. Damn geek driver.

My only complaint is that it doesnt hold the road as well as my last 4 Camry's. It drifts easily wind or no wind and even more so in strong weather. Has anyone noticed that this has gone away after changing the OEM tires? I will move to Michelins as soon as the Integrity's show any significant wear.

7. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know. I was not being rude or negative.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prob because of too many folks just like you... too many different preferences and taste, and thier cheap.. the let the customer decide.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Humm.... hold on... let me go ask my wife...... :eek:

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I am sure she doesn't care

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's one of the things that I really like about the car. I love how smoothly it accelerates, with no changes in gears/rpms at all. I like accelerating from 0 to 45 at one constant speed.

It does catch me off guard occasionally, after just over a week of owning this car, when I'm stopped at a stoplight and the engine shudders then shuts off. For a split second I think 'oh no!' and have a 'duh' moment before immediately realizing that with the Prius this is normal and to be expected. :p

12. jma030201

jma030201 New Member

Well, the only thing I dont like about the Prius (especially on black) is the tail lights! I test drove one today and was surprised by the new dashboard texture. I was used to my friend's 2004 Prius and hers is not like that. I guess it will take some getting used to. I saw one black Prius #8 in the lot as it was being delivered to its lucky owner! WOW! wished it was me. :blink:

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before too long, you'll be completely used to this. When you're in other cars, you'll think "But we're stopped. Why is the engine running? Stupid car." :D

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i actually hate riding in cars that have the traditional manual or auto tranny. it's so jerky. why? gah! put me back in my prius! :D

15. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is also one of my favorite features.

I think that maybe comparison is what makes folks complain more or less about the "blind spots". Having come from a Sport Trac and before that a double cab Tacoma, both with lids, I am giddy with the view!! Adjustment issues are there for parking but definitely not for routine driving. Positioned my mirrors per cartalk today and it is odd to start but then you totally see that it makes an even bigger difference. I always include the look over shoulder with the mirrors though on any car.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

She said, maybe later... not today...

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, I'm pretty spoiled already... I have absolutley no desire to ever drive a normal car again... I would feel like I'm stepping back in time to a more primitive beast.

18. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Well put. Our other and previous cars have excellent all around visibility. Perhaps it's just that the Prius is the first car (out of about 10) we've purchased that doesn't have this.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eighteen months and 40,000km later, here are my pet peeves in order of aggravation:

1. Buckboard stiff ride. Most new cars have this "sporty" ride feature and I hate it. The roads here are in poor condition, and this car reminds you of it. The washboardy gravel road to my hobby farm is the worst, feels like the car is going to fly apart.

2. No temp gage or detailed instrumentation. C'mon, a car this sophisticated without a drill-down option in the MFD? My Dad's 2003 Buick LeSabre has that feature, you can look at instant oil pressure, coolant temp, battery voltage, etc.

3. Pedestrians have a habit of disappearing near the front of the car. I've had some close calls at intersections. Fortunately, they were all annoying small pupae, so no loss.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do miss that.... I may just get a scanguage for a little over 125.00 to fix that.

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/f...gaugereview.htm
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/f...ugereview_2.htm