1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stump the Chump!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ZC1, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A further hint: I was definitely telling the truth about the connector in question NOT being shown in the 2001 EWD (unless I've just consistently been unable to spot it after a fairly thorough search).

So any answer that you CAN find in the EWD, could be safely scratched off the list.

I would not rule out the possibility that it was omitted only in 2001 and might appear in a 2002 or 2003 edition of the EWD, or might have appeared in an earlier EWD for the NHW10. I only have the 2001 EWD, and I haven't spent another $10 on TIS's broken javascript to try looking for it in other years, so I wouldn't know.

-Chap

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Power button connector? No, 2001 doesn't have a power button does it?
    EV button connector?
    I know I have seen that connector somewhere with the rounded shape inside the dashboard. Well I think I know.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chap,

Were you definitely telling the truth that the connector in question has three siblings and that its removal does not trigger a DTC?

If so, then I guess that the connector is for the brake ECU. Collectively the purpose of the four connectors is to connect the brake ECU to the brake actuator, wheel speed sensors, hydraulic boost pump, power, and data link.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Patrick,

Definitely three siblings, and I've never seen a DTC result from its being disconnected.

A good idea for the four connectors. Though I've never tried it, I could scarcely imagine getting away with a disconnected brake ECU with no DTC, though! However, those four connectors are all shown in the EWD, so no joy there. They are B10, B11, B12, and B13, and none has that graceful rounded shape.

(Man, that's a lotta wires just for brakes! Enough to be a little nostalgic for a master cylinder, a coupla pistons, and a big vacuum barrel....)

-Chap

Attached Files:

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. i'm stumped.

ZC1, good thread. i'm keeping my eyes on this one.

cheers

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chap,

OK - this is one of four connectors for the ECM (engine control module), located behind the glovebox. Specifically, this is connector E8 ( B ) which provides power to the ECM. If there's no power, there are no DTCs...

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's the connector for the intermediate harness between the radio and the cd player. it basically connects the radio and the cd player together.

and if that's not it, he blames it on the connector being from a 1g. :p

8. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At first, that had entered my mind, although on my 2008 I'd assumed the connector looked the same.

CHAPMANF, would you please weigh in whether we are all CHUMPS or if Patrick Wong or Galaxee are correct and you are the CHUMP change.

(If you stumped us, you have two choices: 1. Post another photo, or 2. Have a willing candidate post their photo and the game continues.

Great photo ChapmanF.

Thanks.

ZC1

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, he can't say I didn't warn him. ;)

So, seriously, am I the only one on PC with a four-connector NHW11 MFD?

In the pics you can clearly see it's got 4 cables out the back and 4 connectors. Three of them (the ones facing the camera here) are easy - they are M5, M6, and M7, all clearly shown in the EWD. The fourth one (with its back to us here) is the stumper.

There is nothing in my car that connects to it. Could it be for some option my car doesn't have, like NAV? Well, maybe, but NAV wouldn't be it, because the EWD shows it, and shows it connected to the MFD via M6. In the whole EWD, never are more than 3 connectors shown on the MFD. This fourth one just doesn't exist. :confused:

As far as I can tell, it has never been connected to anything in the life of the car (and no DTC has resulted ;) ).

I can't judge any answer on "purpose" as I don't have a clue myself (I was hoping this would find somebody who knew!), so anybody who'd got the location right and made up a likely-sounding story for the purpose could get the credit for all of me.

patsparks gave the only answer that contained "MFD" even though it referred to the switches around the MFD and not to the MFD itself. That might be the closest we get to a winner in this round. :)

-Chap

Attached Files:

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :yo::yo:Who has a pre 2004 to look at? :boink: The MFD isn't even a bit like the later ones.
    I need to check the rules before I get it wrong here.

This isn't a good photo and I just shot the first thing I saw when I looked at the car so I have no doubt it will go quick. [​IMG]

11. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Perhaps it's meant for the OEM, whereby they upload/program the MFD software graphical screens/options and button pushing logic.

If the 2002 and beyond don't have this mysterious 4th connector, it's because an internal redesign of the MFD allows the same uploading/programming thru the now "dual-purpose" connectors.
    This would save cost by not needing the 4th connector, it's logic board, the cable, the staple, the foam, etc...

ZC1

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to sleep now but I will drop in briefly before I go to work in the morning.
    Have fun and if you work it out among yourselves then carry on without me.
    Oh sorry it's another electrical connection but ... I have said too much.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 and onward don't have plugs on wires but has 3(?) sockets across the back integrated into the unit. One of these is also vacant in my 2004 unit but I think it is used for the models with the navigation unit.

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone?:bump2:

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone? Do I need a wider shot?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Is that wire exiting the bottom of the connector a white one with a black stripe?

It seems to be near a steel housing with regular vertical creases formed into it for stiffness. It looks cleaner than I would expect in an underhood environment. I can't quite tell whether the black material above (if the pic's right-side-up) is black painted metal, or black plastic. Was any carpet displaced in the making of this picture?

-Chap

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the bottom wire is white with a black stripe.
    It is inside the car but no carpet was moved and no fur seals were harmed in the making of this image.

The image is right way up.
    Why can't my engine bay be clean?

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A clue, maybe 2.
    You have to remove 1 component to see this and it isn't within 400mm of anything I'd consider high tech apart from the body shell and the Prius itself. You know what I mean, there are no electronics near here mounted to the standard Prius.
    It is my 2004 model.

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not long to go now.
    Should I post a wider shot?
    Would it help to know the electrical connection is clipped to moulded plastic?

20. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is like I'm the only one here.
    Feels like I'm talking to myself.
    Here is a zoomed out picture which will give it away for sure.
    [​IMG]
    Only trouble is I am about to head off to work so 10 hours from now I'll check in to see if I'm a chump yet.
    Red and black wires added by Pat.