1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid Prime not having a stupid spare...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mhye01, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sorry...this is more of a rant than anything else, so please don't mind me...but my Prime only has 1156miles on it and today as I was leaving the UPS store I started to hear a hiss coming from the rear passenger side tire and figured I got a nail in it (not my pripris fault, more of crappy LA streets fault) but anywho I didn't see any visible damage and the tire still looked to be the same size. I figured I could drive it about a mile to a local tire shop that I know and about a block into the drive I could feel the flat so I pulled over to take a look and sure enough, it was completely flat. So not wanting to risk ruining the rims I decided to call Toyotacrap...i mean Toyotacare to get a tow. Got a tow to the dealer that was about 12 miles away (because toyota care wouldn't tow me to a tire shop a mile away) and now the car is sitting there over night because they wont be able to look at it till the morning...n to think all this could have been avoided if the Prime had some sort of spare, I know space is a concern but why not some sort of spare thats not inflated similar to what Mercedes and Porsche put in their cars? Now I need to wait to see what they say in the morning...im sure a patch will fix it but im also sure theyre gonna try n tell me i need a new tire...

Sorry but like i said...just had to vent a bit since the wife didnt want to hear any of it...haha

Mendel Leisk, pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just curious, since exactly the same thing happened to me, but dealer able to replace totally ruined Toyo Nanocrapper tire, also on the rear. What brand of tire did you have?

3. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Same as yours...Toyo...did they replace it for free?

4. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Same as yours...Toyo...did they replace it for free?

5. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    : ( I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it be okay tomorrow. Let us know? I'm surprised thou, Toyotacare towed me to a tire shop (when my tire popped).

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Curious. The tire warranty is with the tire company not Toyota. My Bridgestone warranty says that their dealers must perform their warranty service. Road hazards are not covered though.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I keep a plug kit and a small compressor in all my cars. If it is a nail or screw, I can plug the tire on the car and pump it up in about 20 minutes. It will save time waiting for a tow and to get the tire repaired. I have had a nail in my tire already and plugged it. The tire is still driving good after thousands of miles.

#1 in Easley,SC

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a spare tire for sale, $50 in los Angeles area

Mendel Leisk and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:..........that's why I have AAA:D update: last time I had a flat AAA towed me to a local tire store a mile away, cost $10.00 to fix it:D

breakfast, Mark57, huskers and 2 others like this.
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No siree! Had to buy a replacement. It never occurred to me in my mindless flat-tire fog, to ask to be towed to a America's Tire store. I "understood" that I would be towed to a nearby Toyota dealer. Having had terrible service from Toyo tires in the past, I ended up replacing all 4 tires with Michelins from America's Tire who gave me credit for all 4 tires, and another $100 off the Michelins! Your experience with the Nanocrappers, as I have come to call them, merely supports my disdain for this worthless brand.!!

P.S. I have AAA also, but used the Advanced "HELP" button, and was so surprised and grateful at how well it worked that I never challenged the tow destination; would have been better served to have towed to America's Tire store. Other distractions included client anxiously waiting for me, less than a mile away, and Highway Patrol cop threatening to ticket me for tinted glass, after forcing me to drive on flat tire for 2 blocks. Tire was shredded!
    P.S.2: Oh yeah, bought "donut" spare wheel and tire, ordered from, and mounted/tested by America's Tire store; it now rests safely in: My Garage, which will now become my new tow destination. On long trip, will take spare along!

#10 HPrimeAdvanced, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    dalcon95 likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some assembly is required:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any reason why you didn't try the supplied air compressor and tire goo?

13. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You ran over a nail and got a flat tire. Toyota came to tow you to a tire shop. They will fix the tire. There is tire goo and a compressor in the car you did not try. And this is a rant against Toyota? Did you not know the car came without a spare? How did you expect a flat tire to play out?

14. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One comment (BTW, that little baby and caption: very cute!!), with all this so-called concern for safety, with automatic detectors, alerts, cameras, ad infinitum, the abandonment of the spare tire, donut or otherwise, just ticks me off!! It is something that most of us will need in our driving experience, and to remove it, not even providing a place for it, or even making it optional, is ridiculous. This loss of the spare tire is spreading industry-wide, and we as enthusiasts should speak up about it.
    The compressor, gooey crap, plugger, whatever, is BS!! My tire was shot in a VERY short distance; the tiny ALERT on the dash was just another little light amid the overwhelming myriad of lights already on the dash. You NEED a spare, period!!

breakfast, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quit yer complainin' & buy a Prius Two or Three then! :LOL:
    You don't see me complainin' 'bout a lack of a spare tire! :D

16. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh alright, I'm buying a Prius Two, and will keep it in the garage when I need a spare!!

17. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yup...so as figured the tire was "not fixable" and I had to have it replaced at a ridiculously overcharged amount but when I went to pay ended up running into a old high school buddy who works there and he was able to get me a discount and price matched it to what my tire shop was going to charge...so i guess that was a bright side...

Yeah...im gonna have to look into getting that this toyota care roadside assistance is basically another way for the dealers to gain revenue considering they can only tow to a toyota dealership.

yup...i never had a need to AAA but after this incident I actually called my dad and asked him to add me to his plan (yes, im an adult but why pay for a separate plan when i can just pay to be a second user? =) )

main reason i didn't try to use it was because I actually like the guys at my local tire shop and didn't want put them through having to clean it...if i knew at the time that it was only to a dealer i would have definitely used it lol

18. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

So...I'm pretty sure I said don't mind me but since you did....

Toyota did not tow me to a tire shop that was less than a mile away instead they towed me to the dealer which was about 12 miles away.

You're right, there is tire goo and a compressor that I did not use because that would've created a bigger mess when trying to get the tire fixed.

Yes, this is a rant against Toyota because like I said instead of taking me to a tire shop that was still opened and a shorter distance from my incident than the delear they would only tow me to the dealer's service department which was closed and would only delay me repair.

Lastly, I did know the car came without a spare but did not know that I needed your approval before i post on this site...(y)

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Too bad the Prime does not come with a center wheel that can lower and make the car a 3 wheeler for the trip to fix it.

20. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That would actually be fun...I think I would use that even when not needed...haha