1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid question, but...how does ECO mode help?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a-dogg, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on a straight doing about 40 MPH in 3rd gen, thought it might be doing no ICE, dialed up the system indicator ... showed no ICE input.

I find it harder to sense when 3rd gen is doing EV. ICE is very quiet in 3rd gen. In gen2, I can feel the engine lay off the drivetrain as you lift the pedal slightly to cop EV up to about 40 MPH. But, I think it's harder to maintain EV on the gen2, it's kinda like must lift pedal a little more or let MPH drop a little to keep it going.

2. kevmando

kevmando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my personal experience, ECO mode saves around 2 more MPG than Power mode in same round trip.

I wish my prius would have power mode button on the stick or steering wheel that I can get a little bit of boost feeling when I need more power. :)

(Is there some DIY kit around?)

3. Ricklin11

Ricklin11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The DIY kit is attached to your right leg:)
    Power mode does not increase the overall "power" of the car. Full throttle is full throttle regardless of the mode selected.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The folks over at CleanMPG.com would strongly dispute the representation of drafters as 'real hypermilers'.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's one thing I like about the Gen 2. The fact that it was less "refined" meant that I could actually tell if the engine's running. I could actually tell when the brake pads engaged.

In the Gen 3, it's all transparent. The transition from regen to friction is very smooth and if you're idling at a traffic light and the engine shuts off midway through the light, you'll be hard-pressed to know unless you were listening for it.

I don't know if it's improved for 2009 but our 2005 still vibrates the car when it shuts off so even if you weren't listening to the engine (or the music is loud enough to cover it), you'll know when you feel that slight vibration.

They've done a good job with the powertrain on the Gen 3... a little too good :D

Yup. I hated it at first. I first tested it out in March 2009 in L.A. and I hated the slow response. It felt worse than the Gen 2. (some compare it to the Gen 1 in terms of feel) and in normal mode, it felt fantastic. It felt like an upgraded Gen 2.

However, now I drive in ECO mode most of the time (really helps in the winter) and I get a surprise every now and then when I disengage it, forgot I disengaged it and wonder why my drive is more enjoyable the next time I start it up lol.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Press on the gas if you need more power. Full power is available even in ECO mode.

Tom

7. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried ECO on the highway as a means of lengthening the pedal travel (for lack of a better description) and there is a difference for sure, making it easier to keep my HSI in the zone I want with less fluctuating up and down from small pedal movements.

I'll have to try ECO with CC next because in "regular mode" which is my preferred setting for most driving, the CC is too aggressive, pinning the HSI into the red on every hill.

All in all though, since I bought my car about 3 weeks ago, and the temps haven't risen above freezing, and I have snow tires on, I'm not sweating MPG too much yet. I'm getting into the low 40's or better even with these conditions and a full load of people on board so I'll call that a win for winter.

This summer we'll see what she can really do when conditions are optimal. :cool:

8. kevmando

kevmando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yeah, I know it's not a hidden power at all, but the feeling (or resistance?) of gas pedal is different.

So it will be easier for me to hit the pwr button and gas pedal, rather than fully press on heavy gas pedal in eco mode.

(And doesn't need a full acceleration to pass a slow car in local traffic, just little better response and kinda fun feeling by hitting another button. :) )

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The CC is not affected by the mode selected (ECO/normal/PWR) and will apply the same type of acceleration regardless of the mode, to keep speed constant. In other words, the CC is "stupid" or of the less complex incarnations. On the other hand, the CC will brake to keep speed constant in case of a descent on the road. Some cheap CC don't and let the car roll merrily downhill.

For example, the Honda Insight has a CC that is affected by the use of "ECO" mode. In ECO it accelerates to keep the speed constant, but *much* more smoothly than in "normal" mode.

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's what I found this morning when trying ECO and CC on the highway, no difference from "Regular" and CC.

1 person likes this.
  11. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW, my last trip I switched to ECO when:

A. Going very slowly over a 2 lane bridge that was backed up w/ cars
    B. Navigating the parking lot

Other than that, for the first time since owning the car for 2 weeks, I drove it like a normal car w/ a tendancy to glide when I could. Got a CONST reading of 58.1 mpg. Can't ask for anything more.

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Keep "normal" - it looks like it is doing you good.
    ECO is "necessary" IMHO in winter to avoid the engine start at traffic lights only to make sure you get warm air inside the cabin - i.e. it is quite conservative in making sure you are warm - in ECO is a bit more aggressive and will slow down the blower to avoid wind chill.
    Other than that ECO is pretty good to fine tune the gas pedal, but it depends on where you drive, your personal sensitivity at the pedal and personal preference.
    PWR is for the "kick", for the "fun" - some report to have no MPG hit; this is especially true if not driving in town - I have noticed that in town it tends to keep the engine on for a little longer more often when stopped at traffic lights. Other than that it should be same, if your are not going into the red PWR zone (which you can reach in all modes - in all modes *all* available power is available - simply floor the pedal...).

13. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It pretty much makes the engine shut off sooner and more often.
    It makes the A/C use less power, and the fan speed never really hits full blast.
    The throttle response is very slow and smoothed out.

14. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Couldn't you ask for 58.2 mpg?

15. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As much as I want to use ECO mode in the winter, I hate being cold.
    As much as I want to use ECO mode in the summer, I hate being hot.
    But that's just me.

16. bartelby19320

bartelby19320 Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with EVPV... makes the throttle response lethargic enough so that if you want to tramp on the pedal it makes you think about.

When I use the ECO mode I get the feeling mine is saying "Are you really sure you wanna go faster...really really sure?" LOL

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's mostly a waste of time and never use it, like EV mode.

Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen an ECO vs non-eco objective, meaningful comparison. I've seen "I think I get such and such better mileage", though, which when you're talking 2-3% improvement in mileage is well within the realm of statistical irrelevance.

ECO does make you feel like you're driving a car with 15 horsepower, though, and that's statistically significant a finding.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the driver. It can help those learn how to get better mpg so it's possible that for them, it does in fact increase mpg but for others who are already trained on a light foot, it may make no difference. Remember, the Gen 3 is supposed to be a more mainstream car. ECO mode is just one tool that Toyota is implementing to help drivers get better mpg (as well as the HSI and other monitors). Of course PWR mode is to please the crowd that just wants a higher mpg car but wants something more "exciting" than the standard Prius setup.

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really feel it would be more mainstream if it lacked those features and defaulted to the regular mode and kill the EV button, too. The EV mode barely works anyway.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but just look at how many members feel that PWR mode should be the default mode and on the flip side, how many members said that ECO mode helped them. It's all about choices and I'm glad that Toyota gives us the option (even if it's just accelerator pedal mapping) to somewhat change the car's characteristics.

I do agree about the EV Drive Mode. I much prefer the version on our 2005 (we have Coastal's EV mod). The 2010's version is waaaaaaaaay to limiting to be of any use. I can't even do the stuff that I normally use EV Drive Mode on the 2005 on the 2010. That 10mph lower limit just kills it. In the 2005, we have full access to the 34mph even on a cold start.