1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuttering sound when braking - UPDATED WITH AUDIO

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have had similar issues with dealers:mad:. Eddy's Toyota in Wichita, Kansas was terrible, but the nearest dealer was Hutchinson and they knew it:(.

An example of their "service": claimed at 50 k miles the brake pad thickness was 6 mm then at 60 k miles they were at 8 mm...... At the 70 k change, I got no vehicle inspection report, they said they lost it. I requested an inspection, and the tech came out to the service counter bay and performed the "inspection" there while I watched inside the waiting room. When I asked how they got the pad thickness I was told they measured, but watching from the window, no micrometer was seen....:eek:. I left them never to return.

Long story and example, but I only trust the dealer so far. If you cannot perform the inspection yourself, I would find a good mechanic and have them investigate.

The good news is this is a probably common mechanical problem and not one unique to a hybrid. If you go to a brake shop, they can probably give a good diagnosis. I would take your audio for evidence.

When you say they are within tolerance, does that mean on the low side? Could it be the squealer? Wheel bearing?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If by eyeball you mean they know where the brakes are located, then yes. They also might put the new tech on the 27 point inspections and guessing is part of the training program :confused:.

Preeeus and bisco like this.
  3. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately, every good mechanic we know charges for inspections, and we already paid Toyota good money for inspections. And even if an independent mechanic finds something wrong, they can't get it covered under the Toyota extended warranty, because apparently only Toyota dealerships qualify for performing repairs under the warranty.

So basically, to get warranty work performed, you have to use a Toyota dealership's service department. But they claim everything is normal. Ugh.

At this point, we are planning on paying for a rental car until we can get this (and this other issue) figured out. Our warranty expires at 125K, and we are getting very close to hitting that mark. This is getting expensive, time consuming, and tiresome.

Regarding brake pad thickness, we will look at Toyota's report, but after their inspection, they said that the pads had plenty of life left on them and were will within spec.

You mentioned "squealers"... are you referring to the audible indicators on worn brake pads? If so, no, it doesn't sound like that.

In regards to wheel bearings, we have no idea, but it seems like wheel bearings would make noise in a variety of conditions if they were defective. Of course, we aren't mechanics, so that's just a guess. As far as the dealership is concerned, it's not wheel bearings, it's "solenoids" that are "big and loud on the Prius". Of course, no one here (or elsewhere) is stating that their Prius makes these sounds, so naturally, it makes us question what the dealership is claiming.

Hopefully more people here can listen to the audio and chime in whether or not their Prius makes sounds like that.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is under warranty on a 2010?

5. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the Toyota Platinum extended warranty. Almost everything is still under warranty... for just a few hundred more miles.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha, thanks! they sure have a funny way of making those warranties ineffective.(n)

Preeeus likes this.
  7. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2008 Prius was making a very similar sound, and under very similar conditions (slowing to a stop while gently turning, particularly on a slight downhill slope). I would characterize it as more of a "creaking" sound than a stutter, but to each his own. If you search my recent postings you'll see the thread I wrote in which I tried to troubleshoot the source of the noise, thinking it might be a worn brake or suspension component, stuck caliper slide pins, or a defective front strut. My mechanic could find nothing wrong, and the noise persisted. Then one day, it simply vanished without a trace. Hopefully yours will too.

-Kizzy

Preeeus likes this.
  8. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Kizzy. And, of course, if the sound does disappear, that means Toyota's head technician is completely wrong, as solenoids don't suddenly get quieter (unless they are broken).

9. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm certainly no expert, but the brake solenoid diagnosis doesn't sound right to me. Since it happens only when the front wheels are turned to the left or the right, and more often on a downhill, it makes more sense to look at a suspension component, such as a bushing or a strut, as these would be under greater pressure under these circumstances from the weight of the car shifting. I'd perhaps suggest taking your Prius for an inspection of the front suspension. and see what if anything turns up.

-Kizzy

10. msg4life

msg4life Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Long time follower. I read these forums like crazy and from what I understand several people have had this issue. I now have this issue and my dealer is having to contact toyota over this matter. From the forums it seems its the axle the inner bearing is making the noise. I have read once the axle has been changed the noise goes away. From multiple sources on this forum. I am guessing the torque of the electric motor might be to much for this car. Mine started to tick at 30k. It has just gotten worse.

Preeeus likes this.
  11. msg4life

msg4life Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Dealer told me they hear the ticking and went to the field service tech. And he said if you can't hear it with your windows rolled up then it's nothing to worry about. They refuse to fix it. I opened a case with Toyota Corp. Are you kidding me? If you can't hear it it. It doesn't exist?

12. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, that's horrible service by Toyota.

In our case, we can hear the sound very clearly from inside the vehicle, and have recorded it, but because the Toyota techs found nothing wrong with the vehicle during their alleged inspection, they claim there is nothing wrong.

They didn't offer to perform another inspection to verify that their technicians performed a competent job. They don't seem to be open to the possibility that their techs are incompetent.

The Toyota Dealership seems to be of the mindset that if they do not fully understand the problem, then it does not exist.

Given that we have fully documented multiple issues with our vehicle, and the Toyota Dealership claims that there are absolutely no problems with our vehicle, if there are ever any accidents that are a result of these issues, we have instructed our next of kin to spend 100% of our life insurance to hold Toyota and/or the Toyota Dealership responsible.

You mentioned threads that indicated that this is an axle issue. Do you happen to have any links for those threads? Thanks!

13. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Need to pinpoint it more front left or right side seem louder? Possible bearing front hub, axle joints, trans axle bearing, seem like it can be duplicated only on brake force\ regeneration force at a angle and certain torque rotation my guess with provide sound clip and limited info 1. Axle it's self most likely right side! 2. bearing inside the cvt\ inverter worn out the sound clip sound like a rotational noise and consistent with speed and sound externally cause of it level of sound, also I suspect it metal to metal from the sound clip. I don't believe it's a solenoid because it would known if the wheel was turn then be noisy but ok straightforward! Good luck!

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure where, but someone suggested doing the event over with the Prius in N. If it is there, odds are it's a failing CV joint. If not, it's normal.

I tried it in a place where I always get the noise, and in N, there was no noise.

My 2 cents. The Prius uses regen braking, but the brake calipers are always ready to engage. ABS systems ALWAYS pulse the brakes...it's just more noticeable when it's really needed. Likewise, when turned sufficiently, the brake discs are slightly off alignment and parts of a pad might be closer to the disc surface than when the wheels are straight.

Hence, my thought is the interaction between regen braking (when in D) and pad actuation causes them to "tap" the spinning disc...making the "tick tick tick" sound OR perhaps it's just the ABS unit (located on the driver side) more actively pulsing the brakes because a tight turn while braking hits the threshold of what the system thinks is a possible loss of traction that mandates ABS intervention. To me, the "tick tick tick" sounds very much like the ABS kicking in, but very faint.

15. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    at your own risk! In a open parking lot free from any danger ! Drive the vechicle first to make sure iit's there, then when clear and open ! Don't again but turn off the car and apply the brakes, eliminate any electronics ! If you have also micro camera and mic you can mount it in different areas with plumber putty to watch and record footage live to pinpoint problem! Remember this suggestion only for those whom had experiences at your own risk! !!!

16. msg4life

msg4life Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'll find the links but there are plenty. If it is the Regen or abs. Why doesn't this occur on a new prius.?or after a few people have had their axles replaced the noise went away.? I honestly think it might be some bearing and when the torque and wheel angleis just right putting pressure on that area it shows it sign.

17. pellett22

pellett22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 50,000 on my 2013 Prius and started noticing this noise as well. Only seems to happen when making turns.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I read somewhere here, the Prius wheel bearings are a design that aims to lower rolling resistance, but is maybe less durable?

19. pellett22

pellett22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rhythmic noise while turning is classic symptom of Constant Velocity joint failing. I forget, but isn't the direction you're turning that causes the noise symptomatic of which CV joint is failing? Have the CV joints been inspected, no tears or flung grease. If you have a floor jack and safety stands you could do the inspection. Even without raising the car you can look for flung grease and outer boot condition in the wheel well.

Still, I wouldn't jump to conclusions, let professional mechanics test drive and inspect too.

Montgomery likes this.