1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sub Zero Temps Warning Lights

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Vermont_R, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Vermont_R

Vermont_R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I joined this site as I'd searched it for information when our 2014 Prius C (39K miles) was disabled by the recent sub-zero (F) temps.

We got warning lights for brakes (red), regenerative braking, traction control, ABS and the blinking yellow triangle. We are just a year in to the car which we bought used with a completely clean history.

In any event, I don't have a question really, just a report on the outcome: We stop using the car hoping a warm day would sort it out. We put it into our one space garage. No joy. It would start OK and you could move it; but in forward motion the yellow triangle would flash and beep. We had it towed to a dealership -- a defensive move as we didn't want to make things worse! I figured they'd tell me the battery had failed, the ECU was bad, or some other significant repair. They scanned it for codes and found an old speed sensor code but nothing related to brakes or any of the other stuff. They scanned it after it had been inside their building for a bit. They also drove it for 10 miles and recorded performance and searched for codes etc. NOTHING. I was charged some some labor for diagnostic time but that's all and rec'd no suggestions on how to avoid the situation. So I hope it stays above zero!

I wanted to see if others had had a similar experience in the recent deep cold days but also to wonder if I had just waited for the next 'much warmer' day it'd have resolved itself.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

yes there have been a lot of cold weather issues this year.

take it to an auto zone or other facility for a free 12v battery check. it is under the right rear seat, see manual.

all the best!(y)

padroo likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Goo advice, it seems as though the 12 Volt battery causes a lot of problems that don't seem to make any sense at all.