1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subaru: 30K brake fluid & 60K plugs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 17, 2023.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2019 Outback -- Subaru says replace spark plugs at 60K and brake fluid every 30K. Car is at 60K and just out of warranty. I did the 30K brake fluid at 30K. Now the book says brake fluid again as well as replace spark plugs.

Subaru forums are a mishmash on this with lots of folks saying it is way too early and others disagree. I am out of warranty so that is not an issue.
    My poor body is a rattling collection of broken bones so not up to doing it myself.

My mechanic says it is much earlier than most makes, but it is what Subaru says....
    What say you guys...I would rather save the cash at the moment...
    Kris

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard to do it every two years once. I've never done it that often.

The reason to change it is because moisture gets into it. There is several testers out there, from electronic pen probes, to test strips, to check for excess water in the fluid.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve stuck with tri-yearly but I’m tempted to (looks left and right) stretch it to I do not know, 5? Ours is getting to be the proverbial Sunday driver, so “maybe” that justifies. We try to make them goodly drives.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    @60k I also do a CVT fluid change. Don't go cheap!... use OEM or high quality lube. I've had real good results with Amsoil. FWIW

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota cautions in the Owner’s Manual, that use of anything other than genuine Toyota ATF WS fluid (should be from freshly opened bottles) may damage the transaxle.

Unless you know better, prudent to stick with that.

Ah woops, we're not in toyota land. Sorry about that.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    John321 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you drive sanely, every 5 years is fine.

our daughter has a 20-9 Impreza with 66k. The only thing she’s done is oil, filters and brakes.
    Tires are still fine, amazingly

7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We had an 2003 and sold it to my in laws...still running today. Needs a new Cat and suspension......BUt I did all the stuff by the book. That requested schedule does seem a bit early. Maybe wait until you are healed and then tackled it? I'm sure a few months won't hurt

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake fluid change by pros used to be just a bit over $100 CDN here, likely up from that now.

be careful though, even “pros” can screw it up. Ask them to test drive after? Too, check for yourself, are all bleed screw caps present after, and be attentive to how the brakes feel on first drive.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This isn't a Toyota. Though the Subaru manual says to consult the dealer for fluid type.:cautious:

As for Toyota's warning about damage, it is an automatic transmission fluid. The transaxle in their hybrids is not an automatic nor a CVT. The fluid is not being used as an hydraulic fluid to shift gears or belts. There is no torque converter. The hybrid transaxle only needs a fluid for lubrication. It should just need a basic manual transmission fluid. The ATF was probably chosen for low viscosity, but its low heat tolerance meant Toyota finally had to add an additional cooler to the system.

Back to brake fluid. The Toyota schedule has it buried in the inspect fluids footnote. They just call for checking the level and condition. I take that to mean testing the fluid, and only changing it when the test says there is too much water in it. I don't recall the GM or Ford manuals calling for a specific time or mileage to change the brake fluid.

Brake fluid in hygroscopic. When it needs changing is likely more a factor of the local climate's humidity levels than how the car is used. Well, for public road use.

10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Use one of these to check your brake fluid. https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A04293922RONFL3LFIZEN&qualifier=1676739719&id=1062603898312240&widgetName=sp_atf&url=%2F%25E2%2580%258EKINGBOLEN-Indicators-Automotive-Accessories-Diagnostic%2Fdp%2FB09YRL2HKS%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fcrid%3DS69KDWEYVGRA%26keywords%3Dbrake%2Bfluid%2Btester%26qid%3D1676739719%26sprefix%3Dbrake%2Bfluid%2B%252Caps%252C368%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26psc%3D1
    Manufacturers tend to be very cautious when it comes to safety equipment (ie. brakes). The 2-3 year time frame or 30K miles is based on a high humidity climate, where moisture builds up in the brake fluid. This causes brake fluid breakdown and internal rust, compromising your braking system.
    I inherited a 2002 GMC 4X4 in 2018; judging from the sludge at the bottom of the fluid reservoir - it's never been changed. It's had 3 complete brake jobs and over 200K miles on it. I cleaned out the reservoir and did a full system bleed out. The brake pedal was firmer and I was able to stop in half the distance it normally took. This was part of the reason they gave me the truck - didn't feel safe, since it wouldn't "stop on a dime". There was a new set of pads and rotors on all four wheels.
    Re: spark plugs; are they iridium or plain old fashion platinum tips. If they are iridium, you should be able to get over 100K out of them. I know Suby's tends to burn oil, possibly early change-out is to avoid oil fouling? If I was strapped for cash, I'd put it off till the engine starts missing or your mileage starts tanking - at that point you won't have a choice in the matter.

Hope this helps.

#10 BiomedO1, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Trollbait likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doh! Thanks.

12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    There is a specified ATF change interval for those Suby transmission/tranaxles; though I don't recall what it is. I wouldn't ignore it. While they are not known for frequent failures - They are very expensive to repair. IMHO, I wouldn't skimp on that either. I'd "roll the dice" on the brake fluid and spark plugs - easier and cheaper to fix; but that's just me.

Mendel Leisk likes this.