1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subaru Hybrids and EVs

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by drash, Feb 7, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come discuss Subaru's hybrids, plug-in hybrids and EVs as the biggest EV push for the automaker begins February 8th, 2022.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my email tonight. You can reserve your Subaru Solterra, tomorrow, February 8th, 2022.

Final orders, pricing, availability and financing to be agreed upon between April and May at your local dealer. Deliveries to begin mid 2022. Requires a refundable $250 deposit.

Pretty sure Subaru has plenty of cap space for those looking to get their $7,500 tax credit. Availability will be limited so it looks like they won't be hitting that cap space anytime soon either.

Edited to show Subaru has a lot of cap space left.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice looking vehicle. what's the starting range and msrp?

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry folks, no pricing when attempting to start an order. They only offer one Model - AWD but three different trims:
    Premium, Limited, and Touring.
    Premium comes with EyeSight Driver Assist Technology and Blind-Spot Monitoring
    Limited adds Power Driver Seat, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, 20" Alloys, Power Liftgate, Foglights, and 360 Degree Surround View Camera
    Touring adds Glass Roof, Ventilated Front Seats, Display Rearview Dimming Mirror

AWD range is manufacturer estimated to be 220 miles - they use a smaller 72 kWh battery. Supposedly this recharges faster.

edited to add AWD range

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's an interesting way to sell a vehicle

6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you have no idea how much you are spending. Almost seems like a fishing expedition to see how many people really want one.

bisco likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just made a reservation for a Limited. I thought Premium would be more economical, but I can't live without Heated Front/Rear Seats, Heated Steering Wheel. I am not going to use much HVAC heating in winter to save the EV range. Comes May, if the price is much higher than Mach-E AWD then, I will cancel and switch.

drash likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeez.. 220 miles is kinda short (if you think of a 70% usage - 10-80% range of the SOC.. that's 154 miles on road trips).

fuzzy1 and Salamander_King like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ioniq 5 AWD has 256 miles EV range meaning only 179 miles range from 10-80%. Is 25 miles longer good enough? In my neighborhood, that makes absolutely no difference.

Mach-E Select eAWD (~$47K MSRP) range is 224 miles. Mach-E Premium eAWD with extended range battery ($7K more) has 277 miles of EV range. If I pay $4K more for Mach-E eAWD California Rt1 trim then the EV range is 312 miles. But are they really better than Subaru for over $10K more cost?

Unless a BEV range gets over 300 miles in winter (meaning I need 500 miles EPA-rated EV range considering a 40% loss of range in winter), a BEV is not for a road trip.

#9 Salamander_King, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that Ioniq 5 has the potential to charge to 239kW while the Solterra/bZ4X is likely, at most,150kW. Faster than ID.4 for sure (will be updated to 135kW soon but currently at 125kW). I forget what the Mach-E DC power is.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the Ford website, -DC Charging: Up to 150kW capability. But I have read reviews by owners that it slows way down as it approaches 80% SoC. Still, the faster DC charging speed has no merit for me. Three are no charge stations around where I live. Until the charging infrastructure vastly improves, for me, a BEV is strictly for a commuting car for less than 100 miles trip.

drash and Tideland Prius like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and that is in good weather, not the foul road conditions where I really want a Subaru. So it likely won't safely meet my primary day ski trips needs without a recharge.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume a ski trip would be the rare times you’d charge to 100% so maybe you would get 150 miles. But definitely I’d play it safe in the winter with a short charge.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From downtown Seattle, one ski complex is just over 100 miles roundtrip and 3000 feet of climb, but the two other and better main areas are about 160 miles roundtrip and 4000 feet of climb, leaving this Subaru model with little or no winter range safety margin.

The charge stations I see are already in full use on weekdays, even without the heavier weekend crowd. Each resort would need to very greatly expand their charging capacity. And/or install that charging capacity at lower level satellite lots with more shuttle capacity to the hills, in which case AWD doesn't add much value.

While there are numerous skiers living closer who could make good use of this, it is simply too marginal or short for the majority of Western Washington skiers. So around here, Tesla's better ranges would keep eating Subaru's lunch until upgraded capacities become available.

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Subaru U.S. Media Center

BTW Subaru is partnering with EVgo for DC Fast Charge. What exactly this means ..... :whistle: Do customers get x amount of free charging for a month or three? Or just that you get a token card to use when you pick up your car?

I know the closest EVgo to me is about 89 miles in a direction I don't usually go. So it might as well be on the far side of the moon. Hopefully Toyota partners with someone else.

My personal needs for an EV would be about 120 miles RT in the winter. This might be doable in the Solterra but as with @Salamander_King I wouldn't take this on a road trip, especially if I have a Lexus NXh for that.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the past relationship is any indication, Toyota may partner with Charge Point again. PP had $100 Chargepoint credit when it was initially introduced back in 2017. For me that was just a piece of paper, for there was and still is no Chargepoint station around where I live. I have owned PP for almost five years now but have not yet used a public charge station for my car. Only place I have charged my car outside of my own home is at my work.

Yeah, the key here is "in winter". My commuting is only 18 miles, and my workplace now has a charge station, so most time, PP is all I need for EV commuting. The problem is that PP in cold weather has reduced range and has a tendency to start the engine no matter what I do. Any BEV with over 200 miles of range would be sufficient for my commuting and around-town errands. In fact, a base LEAF with 150 miles of EV range is probably sufficient for that need. The problem becomes more apparent when I have to drive out-of-town trips (not necessarily a road trip). Some dealer visit is over 100 miles one way. The closest airport is about the same distance. If I have to visit my closest (distance-wise) family, that's over 300 miles.

#16 Salamander_King, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  17. Sapphire Dragon

Sapphire Dragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really looking forward to this as I've been wanting a Subaru EV for as long as I can remember. Our area probably won't have it until next year, but I am certainly interested in a test drive.

18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is partnering with EVgo also and providing one year of complimentary DC Fast Charging. I'll assume Subaru will provide the same.

Toyota to Provide bZ4X Customers with DC Fast Charger Access Through EVgo - Toyota USA Newsroom