1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subaru -- Open hatch= dead battery -- switch Group size?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a 2019 Outback when I retired and have mostly been happy with it...a bit of a learning curve on the electronics, but all-in-all satisfied.

And, a major purchase issue was I wanted to get out on the "roads less traveled" and thought the AWD would be essential. It seems to be because I have been in many places in the past year where I know I would have been stuck in a regular car.

BUT, in the process of moving to a new house, hauled a bunch of hoses in the back of the Outback. Of course, got water all over back there. When I got to the "old home," parked and opened the hatch to let it dry/air-out.

This morning -- dead battery. WHAT. I made sure the hatch light was switched to off, so no issue there. Just wondering why/how leaving the back hatch open for 14 hours kills the battery. Did some online poking and find it is indeed what happens when you leave the Outback hatch open.

The Outback has a group 25 battery, which seems is known for being a weak POS -- pretty dismal 325CCA.

I have it on the charger at the moment. I won't replace it now, lots of expenses with the new house, but hopefully next month -- no later than Nov. 1, anyway....

But, a question. Lots of posts on the Subaru forum about going to a different battery. Group 24, which apparently fits fine, or the Group 36, which requires some finagling. But, I can get a Group 25, I know fits, from NAPA with MUCH better specs than the OEM, so thinking why not stick with the 25.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it has better cca, i would go with it. how often are you going to leave the hatch open overnight?

once burned, twice shy

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't pretend to know how to spoof a 'hatched closed' condition in a Subie, but I would DEFINITELY use a larger-than-OEM replacement - or at the very least augment with a decent jump pack.

Many OEMs are trying to figure out how to shave costs (and weight) when and where they can.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This.

When our 2015 Outback's battery bit the big one @ 4 years, I switched to a physically larger battery with more CCA as, yes, there's room. Sorry, I don't recall the group size.

My guess on the cause would be either or both the power hatch system or SKS staying hot and not shutting down because the hatch is open.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a suspicion that your Prius will do the same thing, though the particular number of hours to flat battery will be different. The open door causes some other electronics to remain on and drawing significant current.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like a very straightforward upgrade. I'd do it.