1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subaru XV Crosstrek HYBRID to be announced at NYC auto show

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SlowTurd, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If those are the final numbers, I agree.

It seems Subaru is going the power hybrid route with a system that is more eAssist than IMA.
    2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Preview & Technical Specs

Doesn't sound like the engine is modified in anyway from the non-hybrid. They are also using NimH. Pressure or a good deal from Toyota?

Well, if it's priced around the cost of an auto start system it might gain traction.

austingreen likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds that it is about as hybrid as the malibu eco. I guess when you are shooting for low cost and reliability you decide not to take risks. Maybe auto start/stop and a little more electric torque may help them sell some, but its not going to save much fuel. My disappointment is from their 2009 prototype, that looked like it may push eAWD.
    Subaru Jumps Into The Hybrid Game | Autopia | Wired.com

It looks like everything interesting in the concept was ditched. The ford 2L atkinson pumps out 141 hp but a similar Atkinson by subaru would have had tooling and engineering costs and required a more powerfull electric motor and battery for similar performance with greater fuel efficiency. At least a 141 hp atkinson + 20 hp electric would have merited a little attention, similar to what we see for the jetta hybrid.

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or maybe not.
    "The engine sends power to all four wheels via Subaru's new Lineartronic CVT."
    There seems to be some confusion among the press. One mentioned electric AWD. Others said it was symmetrical.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping it would have a Miller/turbo cycle engine like another concept linked here had.

What was missing from the Hybrid Tourer releases was a fuel economy number. The Lineartronic CVT, and maybe some engine tech, has made into the production non-hybrid. They lead to a big jump in fuel economy. Perhaps the hybrid components of the concept didn't really had much more to fuel economy.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, subaru has a lot of turbo experience, and I thought at a minimum they would use a turbo or atkinson ice to boost efficiency. Who knows, perhaps they only got more power out of it instead of higher mpg. They may have thought they did not have enough torque in the system to go Atkinson.

If they kept the whole standard AWD system, and simply added a back motor, then they would have gotten a full hybrid, able to move on electricity alone, but would not have boosted highway mpg at all, unless the mechanical split had lower losses. The system would have not shaved weight, or transmission losses in steady state. If the software was right though, it would have allowed them to shift power between the front and back better for improved AWD. The only way to really improve mechanical efficiency is to remove some of the AWD losses. The Nissan GTR seems to have gotten the software right in a mechanical system, from what I have read, leaving the car RWD, but shifting power to the front wheels when they slip, and taking efficiency hit other than weight only at those times. That takes a lot of NRE costs to get the system right. That GTR is a much more expensive car though;)

They are adding a di turbo to the japanese rwd brz, and its their own di, not sticking with toyota's. It would be cool if they added a fly wheel electric motor to the drive line, and a front motor to get eAWD. That is the only single axle drive car they make AFAIK. It would probably add 300 lbs, and some stikyness:( Still I don't think subaru is going to lead on this.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought Subaru sold non-AWD cars overseas.

Having both MGs of a full hybrid drive an axle was an interesting concept. Not only do you get AWD, but also four wheel regen braking. For a production car that will have the traditional AWD drivetrain in place, it doesn't make much sense. The mechanical AWD may allow four wheel regen. Placing one MG in the back might help with packaging. A rear MG likely improves the responsiveness of the mechanical system, but is that improvement that will be apparent for buyers.

I think Subaru is content in their niche. The only non-luxury cars offering AWD require upgrades to thirstier engines for the AWD option. They've improved economy without hybridization. Which is good considering it's AWD. Auto start systems get a credit under the new CAFE regulations. This hybrid might get that credit and boost their fleet economy beyond just the raw gas consumption improvements. It is also on a truck, so will help with their worst fuel economy vehicles.

Until the AWD Prius arrives, I don't think Subaru has any real pressure to release their best yet.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My statement was based in part on a special insert added into my (non-Outback) Subaru's owner's manual. Too many people watching Paul Hogan's commercials got into trouble by trying to use it as an off-road vehicle. After seeing other versions of that statement (well before purchase), I noticed that the commercials always showed him driving on a road. Poor dirt road usually, not even gravel, but never off-road.

I also took all my 2WD non-hybrids off road, successfully to some extent. While the Subaru handily outperforms them, it just cannot compete with the part time 4WD in the old F250 pickup trucks on dad's ranch. Hours before I arrived for a visit last week, the softening mud in the fields caused my brother to put the front chains on the feeding truck because the rear chains were no longer sufficient.

For some reason related to advanced age, dad took the unchained Jeep out there. I witnessed his multiple attempts to get it back out, and it almost didn't make it. And also surprised he didn't take out both gate posts in the process. Hope that smell doesn't indicate future transmission damage. My Suby would not have done any better. Only the F250s and the ATV belong out there, even when it is solid enough to go without chains.