1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Substitute bulbs for H11 low beams on Gen IIII've

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Aegison, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm surprised at the comments of poor light output from the OEM lights. I'm thrilled with the stock light output of my Prius. It is very bright with a wide beam pattern. That being said I've always improved on the stock light output if possible. I will try the H9 bulbs as I did HIR bulbs in my 09 Corolla. I'm even doing a proper HID retrofit from The Retrofit Source. It will provide the best light output but is not plug-n-play.

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's the base of the bulb....I know you asked this like 5 months ago, but there's another thread on here that shows pictures. You have to do a slight trim of the "ears" on the base.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...98-need-geniii-owner-test-headlight-idea.html

There's the link that shows some pictures. As I mentioned there, I used small wire cutters because the ears were plastic on those HID bulbs.

I've slacked, and still haven't gotten the comparison pictures done yet. Maybe the upcoming Presidents Day weekend I can do it.

3. sofistikats

sofistikats New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know if the H11 LED bulbs on iJDMTOY's website are compatible?

4. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most LED SMD "bulbs" will only put out around 500 Lumen. The H11's (stock) are somewhere around 1300 Lumen. H9's are around 2100 Lumen.
    I'm debating installing H9 bulbs but don't want to melt the housing.
    has anyone actually run the H9's for any extended period of time?

5. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HID 4300K at 35W will give you 3000 lumens of output, for the gen3 it is pretty much plug and play, only problem is the squirrel finder in that projector housing will cause glare to on coming drivers. HIR bulb will not work for gen3's low bean, only for works for the high beam, unless some serious modification is done to the base and plug...i think...

6. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OEM H11 bulb in our new(19Dec11) Prius lll, was either mounted incorrectly or shook loose to cause the low beam projector to warp from heat. So the projector is heat sensitive and can warp. This is an expensive and time consuming problem. Our service mgr. at 250 miles repaired this under warranty which was a great relief to us ever though it was not our fault.

7. CrniMilorad

CrniMilorad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology

I have these H9 installed for a couple months and I am quite happy.
    It has more light about 30% at least.
    It is winter and i see no difference regarding temperature.
    I have read comments that there should be not problems at summer too.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ran H9 bulbs in both of my cars for over a year before switching to HIDs (blocked the squirrel finder cutouts). No problems with the H9 bulbs in the time they were installed.

#28 xliderider, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    CrniMilorad likes this.
  9. r.p.

r.p. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Late to the party, but a simple question: Are H11 low beam bulbs the same as H11 fog lamp bulbs, i.e. can they be interchanged?