1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Successful Install of Aux battery -after question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sheepdog, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all. and thanks to those who helped me get a good battery (optima yellow top) From a great seller (Elearnaid) and how to put it in. It took right at about an hour as it was so hot and sweaty outside today with high humidity. (Florida) I kept stopping to wipe my face with a towel! Anyway, thanks all who helped me!

Now the after question: The new battery should help mpg yes? It was sinking with the old original battery. Down to low 40's. I hope I can look forward to it coming up again. Some of the settings set themselves. The drivers window, and the fuel level, locking all but driver on opening. I need to kill the evil reverse beep still. Is their anything else I need to check on?

The new battery is operation at 13.8 and 12.7 under load of brakes and lights. I didnt charge it before hand it seems fine. Thanks again!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is not unusual for a new 12 volt battery to improve economy. This however depends on the problem that the old battery had. If the problem was just very low capacity "common with batteries in use for many years" the new battery will make little difference. If the old battery had one or more shorted cells this can make a real difference to the economy when a new battery is fitted.

John (Britprius)